Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shed Season, Coyote Hunt, A Walk, Etc

Although there are a few days of archery season left, the bucks have already started dropping their antlers.  This one was in the field right in front of the driveway stand.
 There was another one in the field right in front of the high-rise stand.














The shed in the front is pretty large.  The brow tine has alot of mass and it has a sticker on the G-2.  It looked kind of familiar and I finally identified it as the typical side on the mutant buck.

There has been alot of rain recently and the pond was close to overflowing.
It was really windy so I went for a walk down in the valley.  I just figured that I'd follow some deer trails and see if I found anymore sheds. I didn't.


There is alot of wind damage.  I'm always amazed when 20" trees are sheared off 8' above the ground.
There were also a few that were just completely uprooted.

There are some rock ledges with little caves on the hillsides above the creeks.  I wonder if this might be where the fox or coyote den.

Rotten trees get picked apart by somebody - possums or coons looking for bugs?
Nice size timber when logged sometime in the past.
There are a few huge beech.  They tend to rot in the middle and aren't much good for timber.  But they are home to all kinds of things - coons, woodpeckers, etc. The north and east slopes at the farm tend to be predominantly maple and beech.  The south and west slopes are mostly oak and hickory.
Saturday evening I tried to call in coyotes.  I used and electronic caller and a motion device.  I set up a couple different places with no success.  It was really windy and not ideal conditions for the dogs to be moving.
This is the Mojo-Critter.  It spins and flops around to simulate a tail of a dying critter while I use the call.  I've got all the toys and nothing to show for it.










Sunrise on Sunday.

Van fixed up the shooting bench (that I knocked over with the bushhog). We're trying spike post holders to see if that will make the bench sturdier.

















Van did a major rehab on the front gate.  The post that it was mounted on was wallowing out it's hole because it was stuck in a drainage ditch.  He moved it to the other side of the driveway, planted a new post, and tied it off to a couple of augers.
The ground was so wet that the deer prints were very distinct.
This buck-bomb was in contention for poop of the week.
But I decided to go with the coyote pile.  The main part has been washed away and I find these piles of hair and fur.
And they are always so kind to leave them right off the porch.

There must be some bucks left with antlers because these rubs were still fresh.
A bunny wabbit.
A fox looking for a bunny wabbit.









Pretty sure that this is a buck that has already dropped his antlers.


No comments:

Post a Comment