Monday, March 5, 2012

In Like a Lion - Tornados and Such

On Friday March 2, the Ohio River valley was hit with numerous severe thunderstorms and quite a few tornados.  Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky were hit most severely but three people were killed in Moscow Ohio (located halfway between home and the farm).  There was a tornado reported in Blue Creek which Kristen and Leo might remember - that's where we checked in a deer when the regular check station was closed one year.  I kept an eye on email to see if I got any notifications from the new security system at the farm and I also called to see if the answering machine picked up (proof that the power was still on).  Everything seemed to be ok.

On Saturday, Amy came to stay with Joan for a few days so, on Sunday, I headed out to the farm to check things out.  I was relieved to see that the building was intact and there was no obvious damage from the driveway or barn.  Eventually I took a walk in the woods and there was definitely some impact from the storm.  It was very localized and really not as severe as I had expected - but where things were damaged, you could definitely see the force of nature.










When I have time, I will make another post with updates on the construction progress and other observations from my walk in the woods.  On Sunday evening I drove to Lexington to take advantage of Amy's visit and get a couple of days in the office.  When I woke up Monday morning, This is what I found.


March is sure living up to its reputation....

No comments:

Post a Comment