Sunday, May 6, 2012

Turkeys 2, Tom 0

On the drive in Saturday afternoon, a nice jake walked across the road just before we turned into the driveway.  I thought that it was a good omen.

I was in the blind by 5:30am (6:15 sunrise).  I didn't hear any gobbles from the roost but there were quite a few once they were on the ground.  At about 6:30, I had a hen in my decoys.  She hung around for about 10 minutes but no gobblers showed up.
I talked to them until about 9:00 when I went in for breakfast.  There were at least 3 gobblers that answered and seemed fairly close - but none came in.
Here I am on the way in for breakfast.  Bacon and eggs and then back after them by 10:00.  It got quite warm but I walked several big loops of atv trails calling.  I didn't get any answers after breakfast.
It is amazing how it has greened up in a couple of weeks.
Lots of wildflowers.
I think that these will be black rasberries in a couple of weeks.











Ferns on the atv trail below the ridge stand.

I found this little 2 point shed antler on an atv trail.
There were turkeys on the trailcams - all hens I believe.

Can you see this one? bottom right.
This coyote seems young.
Groundhog enjoying some deer minerals.
Squirrel.
Making the tour to spread some minerals.
Sweet smelling vitamins for the deer.
12 hours later there's hoof prints and some of it has been eaten up.

It was a "super moon" on Saturday night.  A full moon at the closest orbit.  This picture doesn't quite do it justice.

There has been some water running near the driveway for a couple of weeks.  I'm now sure that the main underground water line is leaking (got the water bill).  I suspect some of the heavy trucks delivering lumber or furniture broke a pipe.  We'll be digging up the driveway soon.
The bucks are starting to fork.
The does like the minerals too.


Camera check.


Peek-a-boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment