Sunday, April 29, 2012

Turkeys 1, Tom 0

It's turkey season.  It opened Monday but I didn't get out to the farm until Saturday.  It was almost noon and raining when we arrrived so hunting had to wait until Sunday morning.
 In preparation for the Sunday hunt, we had fleet (flock) exercises on Saturday.  It drove the dogs nuts.
Since it was raining, I decided to make some jerky.  Joan always appreciates the aroma.

The rain stopped and I went out to set up the turkey blind in a clearing on the ridge trail.  Dave saw some turkeys fly up to the roost near here during deer season one year.
Sunday morning sunrise - I heard one gobble on the walk in but he was pretty far off.
A pretty good thunderstorm came thru at about 8:00 so I walked back to the pond house, sat on the swing, had a cup of coffee and waited for it to pass.

Eventually I went back to the blind, then up to breakfast, then for a walk thru the atv trails calling, but I never heard another gobble.  This plant was in the clearing - is it hairy vetch?


I checked one of the cameras on the walk in.

And I climbed up in the hi-rise stand for a look.  The clover is coming back since I sprayed it for weeds.



Next I sprayed the fruit trees and then I spent the rest of the day bush-hogging.  I try to cut the entire field at least once per year to keep the trees from taking over.  I've been letting a few cedars live.



In the course of this mowing, I ran over this shed antler.  It looks like it was a pretty large 4 point at one time.


The day ended up clearing nicely by the time we left.

 Not alot of action on the trailcams.  A couple of bucks have sprouted about 4" antlers.

Add caption

The main thing showing up on camera was me.



No comments:

Post a Comment