Sunday, April 1, 2012

March Madness Weekend

In honor of the tournament (and UK's role in it), we upgraded the farm's technology this weekend.

A new 50" plasma TV in the new room.
HD upgrade from Directv with whole house viewing.  We are moving the old TV to the ktichen/sewing area.
Chloe was pretty excited about the UK/Louisville game.  BTW, I'm currently in 2nd place in the big bracket pool - I think that I'm in the money. None too soon - it can help fund this expansion.
Joan has been quilting to decorate the new room.
She also found themed material to make couch pillows.
The redbuds are still pretty but just past peak.
The dogwoods are just getting started.


This is a crabapple that we planted at the farm a couple of years ago.
The old apple trees are in bloom right now so I guess the freeze last week didn't hurt them.
The pear blooms are gone and you can see the start of the fruit.
Even the newer little apple trees are in bloom - maybe we'll get some fruit this year from them.
You can't tell it in this picture but the atv trails were covered in little wild flowers - violets?
I didn't quite make it all the way around the back loop - it's going to take some work to clear the trails from recent blowdowns.  Also alot of erosion - might need a dozer touchup.
The "greenup" has started.  Pretty soon it won't be so easy to walk thru the woods.
I sprayed this clover field for broadleaf weeds.  You can sure see where I sprayed and where I missed.  I hope the clover comes back...

It was dry enough to start turning the fields that I will plant this year.  This is the pumpkin patch.  I leave the disk on the old John Deere and use it for this chore.
Sunflower field in the foreground and pumpkin patch in the back.  I probably won't plant until June so it may be early to be turning these fields. A weekend farmer has to use the good weather whenever he can.
The girls really like the new windows and the bench in front of them.
I transplanted this redbud from the farm to Mason years ago.  It's about 15' tall now.
Joan had these crabapples planted in the back yard - they're just about at peak now.
Chloe thinks the pool cover is her lounging area.
A few trailcams - this doe is chasing off an old coon from the mineral lick.
This gray fox is a regular visitor to the mineral lick.  When I was bushhogging this weekend, I saw a red fox out in the field.
Got my helmet on this week!

1 comment:

  1. Both properties look like they are doing great. Hope you are enjoying the early Spring. When I get back, I'm always available to help clear blowdowns.

    ReplyDelete