Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rainy Weekend

Joan bought these two desk chairs on an online auction for $36 total - it will be more comfortable in stand next year.
 
Jim and I are starting to work on an elk hunt for this fall - this is currently the leading candidate.  New Mexico Outfitter Under Consideration for 2013 Hunt
 

View from the hi-rise.  I was burning some cardboard in the pit.
 
The brassica is still hanging in there.
 
The clover below the hi-rise.
 
The driveway stand is eroding with all this heavy rain.  The clover that I planted didn't really get started before the frost hit.
 
Main field clover.
 
I made venison jerky on Sunday morning while it was raining.  I use ground meat and the "jerky blaster" gun.
 
I like the jerky this way better - it's not quite as tough as strips.
 
The strips go into the dehydrator for about 4 hours.
 
Four levels use up about 4 pounds of meat.
 
While the jerky cooked, I went for a walk.  I found the prizewinner pumpkin deflated.  The rain paused for the whole walk and I probably covered 3 or so miles.
 
I took the 223 in case I ran into a coyote or fox.  I stopped at the range to see if it was still sighted in. Not bad from 100 yards - I was actually aiming under it because I thought I left set up 2" high.  The Heineken is about 8 years old - a good target.
 
I relocated a couple of the cameras to just watch the trails.  I walked down to the ridge stand and then went down over the cliff to the left.
 
It's really very steep - picture doesn't do it justice.
 
I crossed the creek at the bottom.
 
This beech tree is on the back property line. The paint slashes need refreshed.
 
It's like they're taunting me - there's buck rubs everywhere that I look.
 
After all of the rain, the creeks were running full.  It was slippery crossing them.
 
This camera now looks back toward the valley stand.
 
I got in the valley stand to close it up for the season.  My foot almost went thru the floor - appears to be rotten.
 
From the atv trail looking back at the hi-rise.
 
Earlier camera checks.
 
This spot is where the deer parade was last week.  Three does and two bucks all came out this trail below the driveway stand. I walked their path.
 
A random rotting beech tree seen on the walk.
 
 
New camera locations tested with a Ranger drive-by.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment