Monday, June 3, 2013

June 1 - A Weekend for Planting

What can possibly be so interesting in this tree?
The bucks have started on their annual antler growth.  I'm wondering if this one is the mutant who has been showing up for a couple of years.
Lots of turkeys on camera this week.  The first one in line has a very nice beard.
 It turns out that the second one does too.
Another nice gobbler.
Turkey and deer in the same shot.
If you look closely at this shot, there are two deer and two turkeys.  The grass is getting a little overgrown.
Another gobbler.
More birds.
And more birds.  How observant were you?

The last shot expanded - can you see the arrow and fletching sticking out of the back of this turkey?
One of the earlier shots blown up.  This turkey is walking around with an arrow sticking thru its back.  This is one of the real down sides to archery hunting - the probability of wounding is much higher. No one (that I know of) was archery hunting on my property - this bird could have traveled quite a ways.
A nice shot of a doe surveying the clover field.
And a turkey on the prowl in the same spot.
Another test to see if you were paying attention.
This is the clover planted in the driveway field.  It's spotty but quite thick where it did come in.
There are some weeds in there so I sprayed it this week.
The sunflowers are up but it was a little spotty too.  I threw some more seed out in the bare spots.
The couple rows that I had previously planted in the pumpkin patch were already up (along with some weeds).
The cherry trees are in a sad state.
But there were a few ripe cherries up there at about 20' off the ground.  I had no time to try to pick them and I don't think there was even one pie worth.
Sunflowers also planted by the fire pit.
Some soybeans in this new plot by the high-rise stand.
Soybeans also planted in this plot by the orchard.  I ran out of deer exclusion tape so I guess we'll see how much difference it makes in this field where only one end is protected.
A couple hours after I threw seeds out in the barespots of the sunflowers, this turkey was out there sucking them up. He didn't seem at all concerned by the deer exclusion tape.
Mainfield clover looking ok.  Basically all the clover plots look good but it's a battle with the grass and weeds.
We had a significant thunderstorm.  I was racing first to get the planting done and then to get the equipment in ahead of it - and I lost the race.  The last machine that I moved in was the John Deere with the canvas sun canopy.  It collected about 3 gallons of water and dumped it down my back as soon as I moved the tractor.
This was another attention test.  This photo is not at the farm.  This is my nephew Tom Balough's unit somewhere in Afganistan.  We're thinking of you guys - come home safe.
Following are some bucks that are just starting to grow antlers.



Another attention test.
And another.


I am definitely behind the curve on mowing...
My sun hat that I wear for field work.
I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment