Sunday, June 9, 2013

Quick Stop in the Rain

Joan and I rendezvoused at the farm on Tuesday, dropped off her car, and drove on to DC to visit our grand-daughter, Lucy.  She's two months old now.
Grandma kept dressing her up and putting bows in her hair.
Two of us might have dozed off for a short nap.

Anyway, on Sunday we drove back and I stopped at the farm before heading back to Lexington. I had hoped for a couple hours of daylight for chores but, of course, it rained.
For the last couple weeks there have been deer standing on their hind legs in front of a camera.  For some reason, they had been extremely interested in a certain branch.  Today I looked at that branch and this is what I found.  Apparently the deer find the maple helicopters to be somewhat tasty.
This doe showed up with all kinds of stuff on the back of her ears.  I'm not sure what it is but I'm guessing that it is insect related - ticks, flies, maggots, etc.  Otherwise, she looks healthy.
This picture is a little blury but I believe that it is a coyote with something in its mouth - a rabbit?
Last weekend I mowed this clover field.
It had been quite overgrown and mowing helps with the weed control.
A couple hours after mowing and the deer were already after it again.
The bucks are starting to sprout their antlers.  It's still too soon to tell how big they will get.  This guy looks good though.







The other critters are still out and about too.
When we drove in tonight, 3 turkeys were in the vicinity of the orchard.  I suspect that they were eating newly planted soybeans.
Now is prime time for antler growing so we must keep the minerals stocked.


The rain on the evening I had hoped to work in the fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment