Saturday, June 22, 2013

Planting Is Done

I was in Pittsburgh for a meeting and I stopped by the farm on the way home.  I finished planting the last couple of rows in the pumpkin patch.  We're staying home this weekend so I snuck my farm time in on Friday.
I did check the cameras and there was a lot of coyote activity.
I assume that this may be due to fawning season.  I haven't seen any fawns yet but it has to be about time.
The foxes were out and about too.
I was also surprised to see bucks this big in June.  This one looks like it might be the Browbeast from previous years.  Two or more months of antler growing season still to go.
This buck also has a good start.  I noticed that he has an affliction that I've seen on other deer too.
This is the same picture blown up.  Look at the bumps on the back of his ears - I believe this is insect related.  These animals are pestered mercilessly thru the summer by flies and ticks.
In the pumpkin patch, I found a couple areas like this where the turkeys have been dusting themselves in the dirt.  The exclusion tape doesn't seem to have any effect on the turkeys.  It works by smell and the turkeys don't seem at all concerned by it.
I'm starting to fight the onslaught of weeds.  I have a new Stihl cultivator machine that helps to turn the dirt beside the rows.  We could use some rain but I don't see much in the forecast.
The wildflowers are at their peak out in the fields.  This is Indian Paintbrush.  It's actually much brighter than it looks in this picture.
Making the camera tour.

Spreading minerals.
Checking cameras.
There are others checking my cameras too.
Some bachelor groups forming.
Got an itch.







There aren't alot of does on camera - too busy giving birth?  This one is chasing a young buck away from a mineral lick.


Striking a nice pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment