Sunday, August 18, 2013

Crops, Food Plots, and Chores

I have pretty well lost the battle with the weeds and the fungus in the pumpkin plot this year.  We'll still have lots to harvest but the plot is a mess.
There are weeds everywhere.
And a lot of the pumpkin vines have mold/fungus.
Six feet tall pigweed and lambsquarter.
In spite of all that, there are still pumpkins everywhere.
Yellow buds mixed in with wilting leaves.


I'm always amazed that the pumpkins keep blooming right up until frost.
These are the blooms on some sort of gourd.
Soom look pretty good.
And there's big ones.
Turban squash?
Acorn squash.
Not sure.  Amy thinks pattypan squash but I don't think that I planted any such thing.
Litle gourds.
Not sure.
Not sure.
Spaghetti squash?
Butternut Squash?
Not sure.
Gourd.
The late sunflower field is kind of at peak.
The first sunflower field is done and the ragweed was getting out of control.
So I mowed it completely down.
The seed heads lay on the ground and the birds love them.
Each head has hundreds of seeds. The field was full of doves and goldfinches.
This is the new food plot of turnips.
My seeding may not have been completely uniform.
The cameras showed coyotes coming to the apple trees every evening before dark.
There was also a red fox out and about.
This is how I decided to spend Saturday evening.  In two hours I saw 4 shooter bucks, one spike, 3 does, and two fawns.  My dogs barking busted everybody out of there so I went ahead and lit the grill to cook dinner.
A stand-off between the red fox and some deer.
The fawns are fun to watch - they run around like crazy.  I'm not sure if they're just frisky or if they're trying to ditch the flies.
The triplets are still around.
I did a few chores.  The weeds around this stump were blocking the view in my trailcams.
Joan and I last week - she seems to be holding on for dear life.
I shot the 30-06 last week.  I didn't get to it this week and I'm running out of time before New Mexico.

The usual camera tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment