Monday, October 7, 2013

New Mexico Elk Hunt Overview

Here's the summary info - I will blog the blow by blow when I have time. 

We were at the Silvertop Ranch hunting with Rio Brazos Outfitters.  Camp is in northern NM near Chama.  The land actually borders the famous Lodge at Chama property.  The access is a little tedious by a 37 mile dirt track road 90 miles north of Santa Fe.  The property is beautiful and the animals were really impressive.  The cabin is rustic but completely functional.  Base camp at 10,100 feet and we hunted up to 11,000 feet.  The guides, cook and food were all great.  The weather was blue sky and got colder during the week.  The last morning was 13 degrees at sunrise.  We had some days with highs near 60.  It was usually pretty windy - 15 mph or so.

I had numerous chances and blew most of them.  I dragged the hunt out till the last hour when I shot a 5x5.  I had all the guides, hunters and cook pulling for me to finally make the shot.  I'll go thru all the details in the day by day.  My buddy Jim shot a beautiful 6x6.  We had 6 hunters in camp and all 6 took bulls.  Here's a few shots.
Some of the country on the drive in.
 The cabin at elevation 10,100 feet.
 Porch and entrance.
Kitchen and dining. New addition this season - bare light bulbs and a generator which was run for a couple hours each evening.
Bedroom for Jim and me.
The land was a mix of dark timber (pine and aspen) and meadows.
Jim and our guide Mike in a set up.
Resting after climbing the "Top of the World" peak which was also known as "elk central".
Typical meadow in the aspens.
Snow in the shadows near the cabin. We had flurries one morning.  Some snow around in shadows and high elevations.
On the walk into camp one morning.
Picture of hunters and guides on the last night (taken by the cook).
Jim's birthday celebration.  He had additional cause to celebrate since he shot a nice 6x6 on his birthday.
Four of the hunters with their trophies.
Jim's bull.
Close up of the rack on Jim's bull.
My bull shot in the last hour of the last day. A respectable 5x5.
Huge sigh of relief as I finally got the job done following numerous botched opportunities.  I need some work on my hunting skills and decision-making. It will be more apparent in later blog entries.










My guide, Mike, celebrating my success (at last).




No comments:

Post a Comment