Friday, October 11, 2013

NM Elk Hunt - The Blow by Blow (True Confessions)

Here's the day by day account.

Travel in:

As previously mentioned, Jim prefers to drive and haul all of his stuff (rather than be limited by airline check in rules).  He and his wife Terry recently bought an Airstream trailer and they made plans to drive, bring the dog, pull the trailer, and set up Terry in a RV park in Chama.  Jim also graciously offered to haul my stuff so I dropped off my gun, cold weather gear, sleeping bag, etc prior to their departure.

On Friday evening as they were traveling thru southern IL, the transmission went on the F150 (only 60k miles).  Jim and Terry spent Friday night in the Airstream in the lot of the towing company.

On Saturday, the towing company took Jim to St Louis airport (70 miles) to pick up a rental Tahoe.  He drove it back to the lot and transferred all the stuff.  He, Terry and the dog then proceeded on to drive to Santa Fe while searching for a pet friendly hotel (Airstream and truck still in tow lot).  During the drive, Terry experiences increasing symptoms of a respiratory condition.

On Monday, I go to Cincinnati airport and find my flight delayed.  I have about a 3 hour connection in Atlanta so I don't sweat it too much.  Then they make the announcement that there was a communication problem and they don't have a pilot.  They have called out a pilot from home and he is in route.  An hour passes and the 2nd CVG to ATL flight boards and leaves.  At 1.5 hours, they announce that the pilot is still in route - no update.  At about 2 hours delay, they board the flight because they heard that the pilot was on the airport property.  Finally, we take off and make it in time for my connection.

I land in Albuquerque, proceed to rental car and drive the 70 miles to Santa Fe.  Jim has been in touch with our guide and the three of us are to meet in a bank parking lot where we will transfer the stuff to my car and follow the guide to camp.  When I get to the lot, I find Jim and Terry and learn that Terry has a nasty bug, has been to urgent care, has prescriptions and will be going back to the hotel to sleep and fight it off.

We move into my car (also rental Tahoe), meet Mike our guide, and follow him the 90 miles north to the turnoff.  We then drive the 37 miles on dirt track thru the Carson National Forest to get to camp.  We stopped along the way to fire our rifles to make sure they were still zeroed.  The road starts out decent and degrades as we drive.  We go thru several locked cattle gates and a river crossing.  We eventually get to camp at just about dark.
 We were met by Rick (head guide), Mike (our guide who we followed in), Cindy (cook), and Sandy (cook in training).  In the center of the picture is Randy - he's the outfitter and was not in camp when we arrived.  He's running three separate camps and stops by to pick up elk every other day or so.
Travis was the 3rd guide in camp and he's in this picture with me. There were 6 hunters so we started out hunting 2 hunters to a guide.  Jim and I hunted with Mike.
The cabin has a green roof.  The other structure is the equipment shed.  They pump water out of a stream for sinks & toilets (not to drink).
They trailer in a 250 gallon propane tank and use it for cooking, refrigeration, and hot water.  There is a shower and a tub.
Most of the food is in coolers on the porch - natural refrigeration.
Hunters eat at main table.  Historically this camp had no power and got by with lanterns.  This year they installed a generator and some light bulbs.  They run the generator for a couple hours in the evening and morning.
The guides ate at the kiddie table.  We couldn't get them to move over even after a hunter left.
Two bathrooms.  One with a tub and one with a shower.  Need a headlamp for middle of the night when the generator is down.
Jim and I shared this 2 bed room.

Four hunters in this bunk room.

On the first night we had pot roast with brownies for dessert.
First Day
Scrambled eggs and bacon at 5am.
Jim and I hunted with Mike close to the camp (horseshoe or lobo).  We heard three bugling bulls shortly after stepping out of the truck. Walked a little on both sides of main road.  Jim was first up for the first day in the event that we spotted a bull.
 We sat occasionally and had a view like this. Eventually we heard a shot and heard on the radio that Bob (from South Carolina) had a bull down. He had been hunting with Travis higher up than us.  We drove Mike's truck up to help recover the bull.  It's amazing where they take their trucks.
Jim and Bob at Bob's 6x6 bull.
Travis had already gutted him.  They decided to halve him in order to carry him the 20 yards to the truck.
He was a very nice bull but the 6th points were small forks.
Mike had a board that we used to carry the halves to the truck.
The front halves took a lot more hands.
 They got the carcass back to camp, skinned him, caped him and quartered him.  He was hung on the meat-pole over night.

Lunch - burgers and brats.
On the evening hunt, we were on the high side of the road in the same area as morning. We had a very nice walk in the woods after spotting antelope from near our parking spot.
We stopped near this wallow to listen for bugles.  After about 15 minutes, a cow appeared from nowhere about 20 yards from where we were standing.  She never busted us and wandered off.  After another 15 minutes, a spike bull showed up in the same spot.  He hung around and grazed to within less than 10 yards of Jim and me. Then he grazed in a circle and walked into arm's length of Mike who sat motionless.  Finally he spooked and trotted off.  We set up in a meadow and saw animals running across the end of it - I think we were winded and blew the herd out of there.  We made our way back toward the truck.  On the hill where we saw the antelope, Mike spotted a 5x5 bull within 100 yards downhill from us.  Jim went to set up and there was no scope on his rifle.  It had fallen off somewhere earlier.  I tried to set up on it but he was gone before we could see him again.  At this point Jim said "I now agree with what Terry said - this trip is a nightmare".  This was a $1000 scope setup that Jim had on detachable bases.  Somehow it came loose.  He had customized and practiced with this 7mm mag specifically for this trip.  Luckily he brought along his old reliable 30-06 as a spare.  It was dark so we decided to return the next day to search for the scope.  I tried to assure Jim that the trip wasn't a nightmare - his luck would turn.  Little did I know.
During the evening hunt, Kevin shot his first bull ever - a 6x6.

Dinner - pork ribs, corn bread and beans. Cookies.
Day 2
 Breakfast at 4:30 since we had a longer drive out to hunting spot.  Tom up first today.  Egg McMuffin type sandwiches for breakfast.

We drove to a peak called "Top of the World".  We set up at the base before light and watched a large meadow where they typically cross.  We had a single cow cross the 400 yard meadow and come directly to us.  At about 30 yards, she busted us.  We got up and went up the south side of the peak.
We took it slow but it was still a tough climb.  I definitely had too many layers on for that much work.  After scaling the last 100 yards which was all rock, we rested and glassed.
We headed down the other side while stopping to listen and glass.  Nothing happening.
 There is another peak across the way (Sunshine?) and a "saddle" valley in between.  This area is usually "elk central" according to Mike.  There's a fence and a property line going diagonally thru the saddle.
We got down to the saddle and listened - nothing going on.
The hike over the top was strenuous.  The sun was out.  We were set up to watch and listen.  Nothing until 10:00 when we started getting bugles to answer the cow calls.  We heard at least 3, maybe 4, bulls bugling.  They didn't seem to be coming to us so we moved toward them.  As we were walking up a trail, Mike in the lead followed by me and then Jim, Jim spotted a bull in front of us - 30 yards standing on a ridge on the trail directly in front of us.  I saw it second, and Mike picked it up last after I whispered to him. He stared at us a few seconds (I had no shot with Mike in front of me) and then he turned to run.  He ran to the left to about 100yards and paused by some aspens.  I stepped out of line and got my gun up but did not shoot. Opportunity #1.  He didn't wait long and then was gone.  We continued to hear bulls bugling but we think it was from their bed - they weren't coming to us.
We hiked out around the other side of the mountain.  This rocky creek bed was the last 1/4 mile back up to the truck.  My butt was whipped and my fitbit showed 12,000 steps taken this morning. On the drive back in we decided to look for Jim's missing scope.
We got out and retraced our steps.  At the overlook where we saw elk and antelope the night before, Mike spotted elk in the woods behind us.  We watched them for a minute and when I turned back around, there was Jim's scope on the ground in front of me.  We celebrated, determined that our luck had changed, and declared that this trip was "no nightmare".  Too pretty.  Too many animals.  Little did I know.

Cold cuts and homemade soup for lunch.

After lunch we drove to the mountain top to catch a cell signal.  Jim talked to Terry who was feeling better.  Things were looking up.
 That evening we went to the "celery patch".  It is a nice meadow above the cabin below the cliffs.  It's about 300 yards long with a pond at this end.  There were cows in the field when we arrived so I crawled in and got set up about 100 yards from them.  It wasn't the best spot because the pond dam was in front of me obstructing about 1/3 of the field of view.  Anyway, we sat for about two hours and ended up seeing 7 cows and a 4x5 raghorn (immature bull).  When they left, there was some light remaining but I really had to pee.  I got up, walked back, did my business, and walked back to stand beside Mike as he was cow calling.  As I was standing there, I spotted a spike bull stepping out between me and the pond dam (20 yds?).  I froze in the open standing between two trees.  The spike came out followed by a 4x5 raghorn.  I could see more elk behind them including several cows and a very large bull.  At this point the spike was 10 yards, the raghorn 15 yards and the big bull 30 yards.  I reflexively reached for my gun and got busted - they all cleared out. Opportunity #2.  I don't know why I moved.  My only chance was to let the whole parade walk past me while standing like a statue.  Another raghorn 4x4 came out at last light.

While we were in the celery patch, Daniel and Travis returned to where we hunted in the morning (near the saddle).  Daniel killed a very nice 6x6 right where we had the encounter.  It was cold and the animal was gutted so they decided to wait and recover it in the morning.

One of the other hunters in camp, Larry, had a chance on a bull and missed.

The fitbit showed 22,500 steps for the day.  Chicken enchilada casserole and apple pie for dinner.
Day 3
Waffles and sausage at 4:30.
Jim has first shot.  We return to hunt the saddle and to help recover Daniel's bull.  One bugle was all we heard.  I had a coyote come in to me - I videoed him and will post the video.
This is Daniel's bull. 6x6 with very nice mass on the main beams.  I'm sure that he was one that we had been trading calls with the day before.
After our hunt, Travis got a truck all the way back to the bull and we helped to get it loaded up.
Once again it was impressive where they get their trucks.  I can see why you would want to do it in daylight.
After lunch of spaghetti & salad, I dipped a line in this pond.  Supposed to be good brookies in there but there was a front coming thru - very windy.  I got no bites.
A random tree that I spotted on the walk from fishing.  Since both of Travis's hunters were done, He took Jim for the afternoon hunt and I hunted alone with Mike.
A different lake near the top where we could get cell coverage.

For the evening hunt, Mike and I went back to the celery patch.  This time I set up higher to the right against a large pine.  Mike stayed 50 yards behind me to cow call.  The front had come thru and it was windy and cold.  I sat for two hours shivering.  We had been hearing bulls but not seeing anything.  As we were losing light, Mike came crawling out the 50 yards to me.  He had been trying to get my attention - he said there was a bull at the far end.  I couldn't see it at all.  He had me crawl out from behind another large pine to get more in the open (beside a little pine).  Mike was urging me on - he's a nice one, he's a 6x6, he's standing in the open.  I still wasn't seeing him.  I got out to the new spot, got my sticks up, got on my knees and I still couldn't see him.  I found a cow in the scope.  Mike said take him. I searched and finally found another animal in the scope.  I let a shot fly and the field emptied.  The bull was somewhere past a tree I had lasered at 249.  I never really got set, was shivering and trying to shoot off my knees.  We went and looked and found no sign of a hit. Opportunity #3 not successful. 24,240 steps on the fitbit.
Day 4
Three hunters left without bulls - me, Jim, Larry.  Breakfast burrito and then morning hunt.  Mike and I went back to celery patch to make a thorough check.  We had no action all morning and found no sign.  Jim got on a nice bull with Travis.  Travis called him away from cows and across a fenceline but Jim never got the shot.  30 degrees when we went out to hunt and 26 when we came back at 10:00. Grilled ham & cheese and chicken soup for lunch.

For evening hunt, we gave the celery patch another try.  We saw 2 cows and a spike.  Jim and Travis returned to same area and Jim took a 6x6 beauty.  Three shots to the shoulder in heavy cover.  Larry also took a bull with Rick.  One hunter left.

Jim and Larry's bulls got quickly skinned and hung on the meatpole.
Jim scored on his birthday-here his is giving the play by play.
His bull had an interesting triangular top and a lot of mass to the beams.
Sandy prepared birthday cupcakes and we had a lot to celebrate - 2 bulls and a birthday.
Sandy took this picture.  From the left Kevin, Jim, Travis, Daniel, Mike, Rick, me, and Larry. Dinner was lasagna.
Work at the meatpole in the dark.

Only one hunter left - me.  Everybody can go home when I tag out.  I've missed 3 opportunities but I was getting a lot of encouragement from everybody.  Plan was made to go to top of the world in the morning with Mike and Rick guiding me.
These shots were taken the next day.  Jim, Daniel, Larry and Kevin.
Jim and his bull.
A couple of shots of the rack on Jim's bull.

Day 5
It was 13 degrees when we woke up.  French Toast for breakfast.

Rick, Mike and I drove out to top of the world.  As we got out of the truck, there were bugles before first light - most of them from the National Forest area.  As the sun started to brighten the sky, we started walking toward the saddle.  Rick and Mike cow called and a bull answered.  We walked toward it and it answered again.
We found a stand of pine trees and Mike had me set up at the base of one of them.  I sat down and got my sticks set - I had a glimpse of the bull coming in toward us at 150 yard or so - working along some trees.  I expected him to break in the open right in front of me - he didn't.  Rick and Mike start whispering that he's going left.  Mike tells me to scootch so I can see left. I pull up on my sticks and the point is frozen in the ground.  I yank it out, move, and start trying to get set again.  The bull comes in view at 50 yards and I'm not set.  He keeps going left behind trees.
Mike and Rick are standing and can still see him - I can't.  He comes in to about 25 yards before he turns and starts to head out.  They tell me, get up - get up. I jump up and move to the other side of the tree while he's moving away from us.  I sit down and try to settle sticks.  He goes to 125 or 150 yards and pauses.  Rick says take him. I go into a massive fumble where my hat falls in my eyes, I try to find him in the scope, I get him and try to turn the scope up (dumb), etc.  He pauses two seconds and boogies.  Opportunity #4 blown.  Early quit not happening.  Easy daylight recovery near truck - gone.  Major disappointment.  All around.
We hunted the rest of the morning all the way around to the saddle.  There were bugles from across the property line in the National Forrest.  It was opening day for muzzleloaders on the public land and there were quite a few shots.  We were hoping for the pressure to push something over - no action.  Did a lot of walking and my butt was dragging.
Cold cuts and soup for lunch.  Lots of butchering and caping during the mid-day.  Everybody preparing to break camp after the evening hunt.

I go to bell meadow with Mike for the last hunt.  Rick is spotting in other areas.  We see a cow when we walk in around 4:00.  We set up and wait - nothing happens.  At about 6:00 Mike says "lets move".  We get up, put on packs and start to leave when he spots a bull across the meadow.  Sit back down.
I get the gun on the sticks and I see the bull.  He's with a few cows and it takes a minute before there's a clear shot.  He stands broadside at 220 yards and I take the shot.  He's hit. Mike says hit'em again. He starts turning away from us and walking (hurt) out of the field.  Mike tells me to keep throwing lead.  All I have is the "Texas heart shot" at the butt.  I unload the magazine and two extra shells from my sling.  During this time he walks from about 220 yards to 300 yards and then he lays down facing away from us behind a log.  He's down.  What a relief.  High fives.  Still light left.  Easy recovery - right by the road.

We start walking in and Mike notices him trying to stand up.  He can't - hind quarters don't work.  We get to 150 or so and Mike says, shoot him again.  I switch magazines, wait for him to try to get up, and shoot off hand over the log at him (facing away).  We keep walking in, he keeps trying to get up.  I fling more lead.  I run out of bullets. Shit. What was Jim saying about a nightmare?
Mike calls on radio and lets Rick know.  We walk in to 10 yards and bull is dead but doesn't know it and won't go.  Rick pulls in, gets out his 243, puts one in the neck, and we prepare to gut him.  Rick puts rifle back in truck.  The bull won't die.  Rick goes back to truck, gets rifle, shoots him again.  Finally he passes (12 shots?).

Opportunity #5.  Success.  Team effort.  Last day.  Last hour.  With assist.  5x5.

Now the scramble is on to get him in the truck, get him skinned, quartered and caped.  Break camp. Long drive in dark.
He's decent - not as good as some of the earlier opportunities but a nice bull.  What a relief.

We did have a discussion about who should get the mount - me or Rick.  Of course, Mike busted ass all week for me.
Ricks truck had a winch so it was easy for the three of us.

Back at camp, they've been listening to the shots and the radio - they know what a struggle it's been. 
Everybody is happy and relieved.
Congratulations and celebrations.
Telling the story.
The guy who dragged me to the finish line.
 
Pork tenderloin for dinner.  Break camp.  Drive 37 miles of rough dirt track in the dark.  Pick up the paved road and drive 90 miles to Santa Fe.  Spend the night in the Holiday Inn.  Drive 75 mile to ABQ airport.  Fly home with connections thru ATL (3 hour delay). Home 1am Monday.
 
Conclusion
 
Beautiful country.  Great animals. Super guides - can't say enough given the test I put them thru.  Good food.  Rustic but completely functional lodging.  Although there was agony and ecstasy, it was a truly memorable experience.  In spite of the adversity, it definitely was not a "nightmare".  But it had some elements of one.  I have some work to do on my hunting skills before the next trip.  Already looking forward to it. 
 
Videos
 


No comments:

Post a Comment