Sunday, June 15, 2014

Playing Catch Up

We were in Colorado for a conference this week but I came out to the farm on Sunday afternoon.  I got a couple of hours work done in the pumpkin patch.  I'm still significantly behind the curve and the planting that I did today may be too late for the pumpkins to mature - depends on the weather.  But I did finally make a camera tour and collected a month's worth of images from 6 cameras.  Some of the cameras had 1200 shots on them.
A few times each year I catch photos of an owl hunting in the orchard at night. 
My theory is that he sits on top of the utility pole with the big yard light on it.  And he pounces on anything that walks into the lit up area. 
We have seen this turkey before.  Look closely.  He's got an arrow sticking out of  his back. 
 I guess it's not unusual for them to be still strutting on May 17.
But what about June 14?
There were hundreds of turkey photos.
Deer and turkey in the same frame. 
And once again. 
More June strutting. 
Antlers starting to develop.
 I planted a few rows of pumpkins last week.
 Due to the rain that we had, many of them are up already.
Also the soybeans. 
 And the sunflowers.
I did stop at Tractor Supply and pick up some minerals.
Two of my food plots didn't get planted and I think that it is now best to just wait and plant them for the fall.
The clover that I mowed looks pretty good. 
Van and Donny have been working to replace stand shutters and also to replace ladders with stairs. 
 While I was gone, Van got a flat on the Kubota.  He found a piece of antler in the tire.  He had to take it to town and get a tube put in it.  I suspect that this antler remnant had something to do with the flat tire.
 View from one of the cameras - the weeds grew around it.
 Here I am about to do battle with the pricker bush that took possession of my camera.
 Pears look good.
 One tree of green apples is loaded and the other one is sparse.
 Lots of red apples.
I never do anything with this grape arbor but it does produce Concord grapes.  I noticed that the wild raspberries are getting close.
 Both coyote and fox showed up on camera.
 More coyotes though.
No sign of fawns yet.
Coyotes will be waiting for them.
 Antlers on the way.
Tons of turkey photos.








Photo of me from May 10 - probably the last time that I checked cameras.
June 15 camera run.

1 comment:

  1. Nice batch of photos, the shots of the owls are especially cool.

    ReplyDelete