Saturday, June 7, 2014

SA Hunt - Day 1

We arrived at the lodge on Sunday 5/25 and had a quick lunch of macaroni and cheese with impala meat.  Then we headed right to the range so I could shoot the rifle that I rented from the outfitter. I wanted to avoid the hassles of international travel with a firearm - especially with a couple touring days in Cape Town after the hunt.
The rifle provided was a Howa in 30-06.  It had a Redfield scope and I shot about a 2" group at 100 meters off bags.  I took another shot standing off sticks and that made it a 3" group.  Should be good enough.
If you're a follower of my blog, you'll know that I usually get the job done but it is never flawless.  Somehow I manage to create some adversity and adventure in my hunts. 
I was shooting 165 grain boat tails.

On Monday morning, we had breakfast at 6:30 and headed out at 7:00.  Joan took a day at the lodge to recover from travel.  My PH, Arnold and our tracker, Jerry, headed to a property 15 minutes up the road.  First we stopped to pick up the landowner's tracker, Winston.  The practice is that if you draw blood on an animal, your hunt is done and your trophy fee is due to the landowner. In effect, Winston was there to enforce that rule.
Winston opened the gate and we drove on property.  The trackers moved up to the seats in the truck bed to spot game.  I loaded the magazine in the rifle but kept the chamber clear for safety.  We started driving and spotted game almost immediately.  We came around one corner and a blue wildebeest bull busted out running. An impala stayed standing facing us and Arnold told me to get out.  We walked about 100 yards, he put up the sticks and said "take him".  I put the rifle on the sticks, took the safety off, pulled the trigger and "click".  Now I'm panicking and cycling a round into the chamber. The impala was still there and I got him acquired in the scope again. I pulled the trigger and saw the cloud of dust as the bullet hit the ground beside him.  Clean miss and he was gone.
Ok, I was a little flustered.  I asked Arnold how long the shot was and he said about 160m.  We went to a high spot and glassed for game.  We could see all kinds of stuff - warthog, black wildebeest, kudu, waterbuck, blesbok, etc.  We loaded back up and started to drive.  A group of impala was spotted on a steep hillside.  We got out and I chambered a round.  We climbed up and they started to move as we were in the open and exposed.  Arnold set up the sticks again and I had a shot at a broadside impala. I got the safety off, took the shot and missed.  I cycled the bolt to take a follow up shot and "click".  Arnold says that is a problem with that gun if you don't cycle the bolt all the way back.  I said how far was the shot - he said 220m.  Now I'm wondering - jet lag? nerves? buck fever? gun? scope?
We glass some more and drive some more.  We see duiker, steenbok, monkeys, nyala cows, and cape bat eared fox.  We spot a 3rd group of impala and get out to stalk them.  We bump them and chase them for awhile.  Finally we get one in view, sticks set up, they're nervous and alert.  I'm rushing to get a shot off and the safety doesn't release.  For some reason this gun has a three position safety - one click isn't good enough.  Finally get safety off, take a shot, think it's a hit.  Arnold says only 130m shot. The group of impala bust out of there.  We go to the spot and find tracks but no blood.
We search the area hard - Arnold, Jerry, Winston and me.  No trace. 
Arnold goes to extremes looking for the impala.  Nothing.
 
At this point, Arnold suggests a gun change.  His personal gun is also a Howa 30-06.  He glass bedded it himself.  I'm desperate and will try anything.  He later told me that other clients have had trouble with the same gun I had been using.
 
We make a stalk on a blue wildebeest, my shot sounds like a hit, he puts the motor in gear and runs into the next county.  No blood sign (luckily).
 
We eat our box lunches and make a plan for kudu in the afternoon.  Arnold knows a spot where there are hundreds of them and they come out of the hillside cover to feed in the valley in the late afternoon. 
Arnold's personal gun.  Basically the same model with a different scope. 
By about 3:00, we climb into a thick cluster of brush in the valley.  We just kill time for an hour and then kudu start moving all around us.  Arnold spots and tries to set up on four different bulls.  They get nervous or the brush is too tall or the cows chase them off.  Finally, we're trying to set up on one in front of us but the brush is too tall for me. Arnold spots another bull to our right.  He's mostly facing us and I get on the sticks and get the scope on him.  I get the safety off, squeeze the trigger, and he goes 20 yards and drops. 
I hit him perfectly just in front of the shoulder which was just right for the angle that he was facing. Arnold says he was an old bull - maybe 11 years old based on teeth condition.  Confidence restored. Elation.
Jerry working on the photo op as we start to lose daylight. Everybody is impressed with this animal - a real trophy cape kudu bull.
Suppressors are standard equipment in this area.  Less noise and recoil. A fine bull and a happy camper. 
I'm sure my shooting had the whole team worried.  I'd like to blame it all on the rifle... And I'm not sure how calibrated Arnold's eye is on range.  He had a laser in the truck.
Jerry and Winston who were with me all day. 
This is the Hollywood shot.  Arnold had me sit about 10' behind the bull to make it look big and me look small. 
With a winch and lots of help, we got him in the truck and to the skinning shed.  Then it was off to dinner where we were served kudu stroganoff. Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. reading the blog again 3 years we had a good hunt hope all go's well getting our first clients in first week of march. take care keep in touch.
    best wishes.

    ReplyDelete