Sunday, August 17, 2014

Food Plots, Sunflowers and the Pumpkin Patch

 I raced out last Friday to beat the rain and get my Fall foodplots planted.  Then it didn't rain until Monday and this is what I found in the gauge. We could really use a good soak right now.
 Sunflower plot from the dining room.
 From the far end.  Almost at peak - still some buds.
This plot beat the weeds pretty well this year.
Main field on the right in turnips and oats.  Hi-rise field on the left in chicory and clover.
 Hard to see it but clover and chicory are just emerged.
Turnips are a little farther along.
 And the oats are doing fine.
Soybean field.  They really like this stuff.  Chloe and I chased 5 deer out of there this morning.
Driveway clover.  All the clover fields are in pretty good shape.  It's a battle fighting weeds and grass.
 Although planted late, the pumpkins seem to be doing well.
 There's a green pumpkin under there.
 Pretty big already.
 Some small pie pumpkins too.
 We did have some incursion inside the deer exclusion tape.
 I guess that it was deer.



 Various types of gourds.





 I think these are spaghetti squash.
 Somebody already sampling.



 I'm pretty sure these are the monster pumpkins - getting a very slow start.
 Have some fungus/mold as always.  I sprayed again today.
 The main part of the field in large pumpkins really looks pretty good.  Too thick to go in there right now - hope there's lots in there.
 You can't even tell where the rows are and there aren't many weeds in this part of the field.
 The late planted rows never got weeded and they are overgrown with pigweed.  It doesn't seem to bother the pumpkin plants - I just hate to see all of those weed seeds.
 This week's zucchini and squash harvest.
My other sunflower field is pretty good but has more weeds.  It was planted a week later.
This is the better field by the barn.
I tasted a ripe grape - tastes just like grape soda.  It's hard to eat around the seeds.
 Camera run.

 I was trying to show the label on this protein block that I put out.  Second try - the first one disappeared in hours.
There it is on the stump over my shoulder.  We'll see what the camera says next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment