Monday, December 8, 2014

Gun Week Adventures - Part 2

 This post is picking up where the last one left off.  It contains some blood and guts so you might want to skip it if you're not inclined.

This photo is of another foggy/rainy day which it seems like we had all week.
 When I dropped my buck at the taxidermist, this mount was drying (almost finished).  It is the buck taken at my farm last year by Leo.
Joan and I have been discussing whether we need a playhouse at the farm for the grandkids.  We stopped by the local Amish store and saw this one.  I think this is about what Joan had in mind.
 Here's a more unisex version that might fit in with farm décor.  Anyway, it's under consideration.
 I decided to cape out my buck myself so this is the start of the process.
 I "tubed" it out down to the neck joint at the skull.
 I once dropped a buck on the concrete and broke one of the antler tines.  I wanted to avoid that this time.
 So I strung up the rack to the tractor.
 Then I went about separating at the joint.
 And, presto, it worked just fine.
 Then I turned the carcass around and finished the skinning.
 I wrapped it in cheesecloth and loaded it up for the run over to the Amish processor.
 I've used this transportation method before.  Not quite as easy as a pickup truck but definitely workable.  I had hoped to get a doe right away (to make one trip to the processor).  But they went into hiding when they knew I was looking for them
A couple nights later I went ahead and took one.  This was a good shot (with my old muzzleloader) that dropped her where she stood.
 It was an easy field recovery with the tractor bucket.  I hung her up and did the field dressing vertically.  My friend Bob showed me this method in Texas.
 No fuss, no muss.  Done quickly.  All the guts in the bucket.
 This was a medium sized doe.  We've seen them as small as 50 pounds and as large as 130 (field dressed).
 I ran her over to the Amish processor and his driveway was almost washed out because the creek was running so high.  He's got his buggies all stored under roof.
Unfortunately, I left the gut bucket outside the barn door overnight.  When Dave went out to hunt in the morning, he found it this way.  I assume that it was coyotes or dogs.  I got the mess cleaned up and deposited out in the woods.  If I get time, I'm going to check the security cameras to see if I can see the culprit.
In order to try to drive something out for Dave to shoot, I went for a walk on Sunday morning.  There was absolutely no evidence of the gut pile where I field dressed the buck on Wednesday morning.  Either the coyotes where efficient or the creek ran a lot harder during all the rain. 
There was lots of good buck sign.  Dave ended up not getting a shot at a buck - he'll be back for blackpowder season and I understand some of the Florida contingent is coming up.  I'll be looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment