Sunday, January 11, 2015

It's Cold!!!

 Quick trip to the farm this week just to check on things.  Temps have been around 0F.  My first task was to move all nonalcoholic beverages in from the barn fridge.  I've cleaned up that frozen/exploded mess in the past.
 Some brave critters have been walking on the pond ice.  Do you think they're thirsty?  I saw both canine tracks (dog or coyote) and deer prints.  It looks like a small deer was having trouble standing on the ice.
 I also found this skull and hide dragged a couple hundred yards from where it was deposited.  Somebody ate the meat off the face.
 We've had some problems with the gate lock - it was frozen and wouldn't lock.  I heated it up with a lighter and it seems to be back in service.
 The battery in the Kubota is still original.  That is an amazing 10 1/2 years.  With the help of a propane heater (to heat the engine block), I did get it started.  It's time to replace the battery which I believe is in a sealed compartment behind those headlights.  I don't think that it will be a simple job.
 I got out in the Bobcat for a few chores.  I moved some downed trees with the bucket.
 The heater hadn't kicked in yet.  It is pretty nice once warmed up.
 This is the trail that was just cleared a couple weeks ago.  I pushed on it a little with the Bobcat but came back Sunday morning with a chainsaw.  I moved a lot of it by hand but left some big pieces for the Bobcat (next trip).
 Saturday evening I tried calling in coyotes to the pond stand.
 I had a Mojo-critter in the field as a teaser.
 The black lab is now travelling with a pup.  That's who I called in.
 The adult just kept going but the pup was enticed by the Mojo-critter.
 I gave him a blast of howling coyotes from the electronic call.  It scared him and he ran home.
 Sunday morning sunrise from the dining table.  Drinking coffee in the warmth.
 Woodpecker at the feeder.
 Did some hunter leave this?  My powder pellets are dark grey - I'm not sure what this white powder may be...
Anyway, home early on Sunday to go to a movie.  It's warmed up to about freezing and sleet/freezing rain is predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment