Monday, May 9, 2016

Guerrilla Attack By The Four Amigos

 This turkey season I am being taunted by four gobblers who travel in a gang.  Last week they did a spin by my decoys but stayed outside of range.
They also like to show up on camera.  One of them has a distinctive chunk out of his fan.
 Saturday afternoon I set up the turkey blind.  Sunday morning, I broke out the secret weapon - the hen and jake decoys.  I was in blind before 6:00am.  Although I could hear some gobbling, it wasn't like last week when they were responding and getting closer.  By about 8:00, everything went silent.
That's the blind on the edge of the clover field.  After dead silence for 45 minutes, I suddenly noticed movement at the decoys.  All four Toms had come streaking into the field and attacked the jake.  The first one reached the decoy, pounced on it, and then they all turned and ran out of the field.  By the time I got the gun on them, they were on their way out.  I got a shot off and all that I had to show for it was the wing feather in the foreground of this photo.  Foiled again.
 I covered some ground again this week calling and trying to get some replies - no luck.
 I went ahead and did some chores as the ground was fairly dry.  I have some fields disked up for food plot planting.  I'm also working the pumpkin patch and the prairie planting.
I've had the drone back for awhile but haven't had the time or the weather to fly it.  I finally got it up this weekend.
 That's the pumpkin patch in front of the barn.  Several food plots disked up in the background.
 The trees have greened up so you can't see the ground down in the valley.
Two plots with some of the fruit trees.
 Main field plots with future prairie planting on the other side of the pines.
 Prairie plot is about 3 acres.  I'm going to kill weeds one more time before planting.
 Joan and I on Mother's Day as seen from the drone.
 I did a lot of mowing - it needed it.  I was grilling dinner when I took this.
 The pond aerator isn't working.  I doubt that it is a coincidence that this sunfish was floating on the surface gasping.
 This frog seems happy though.
 A neighbor sent me this photo of some kind of hatching on one of his neighbor's trees.  Any ideas?
Some of the many turkey photos.













 Coyote.

Bucks starting to grow.




 Does are very pregnant.
 With last year's fawns.  Looking pretty thin.

 Dave helping with the mowing.

Keeping the mineral sites fed.  One of these days I will fix the clock on this camera.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tom. The hatching is of a species of Assassin Bug commonly known as Wheel Bugs. They are predators of insects, but can also give humans a nasty bite if provoked. Adults are slightly over an inch long and are commonly seen in late summer or fall.

    ReplyDelete