Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pumpkin Planting and Antlers Showing

We came past the farm on the way back from DC and I decided to spend a day on planting the pumpkins.  It turned out to be a lovely day with a high of 73.

 While we were gone for a week,1.2" of rain accumulated in the rain gauge.  It's been so wet that the fertilizer is still not spread.
The orchard field that I planted in clover is sprouting.
 The firepit field has a summer annual mix and I can see soybeans and sunflowers up.
 Not too much showing in the prairie plot.
 What is showing are weeds that I didn't plant.  I'm not sure what these are and if they are undesirable.
I spent about 12 hours in the pumpkin plot and I got about 3/4 of it planted.
 I waited as long as I could to get the fertilizer down but I finally just had to get the seeds in the ground. Some of the pumpkins are 120 days - no time to waste.
 The cameras showed some very promising bucks for this early in the growing season.
 It's a little to early to recognize if they are some of our usual suspects.
 But I do like the way they are starting out.
 There are some typical ones too.
 But several wide ones already.






 Just one fawn on camera this week.
 But several does are still pregnant.

 I can never get over the number and size of the ticks feasting on the ears of these deer.  It's nature I know.
 Turkey traffic has slowed down considerably.

 Always a coyote or two.
 Not sure what that scowl was about.
Keeping the minerals stocked.
Everything is growing so fast right now - no way to keep up with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment