Sunday, August 6, 2017

Plots and Plinking

 1/10th of an inch in the last two weeks.  Figures since I had planted a few new food plots.
 The barn field is up in stripes.  I hope it fills in when it rains.
 This end of the main field isn't planted yet.  The far end is planted.  I worked the soil on this plot and plan to plant it in perennial clover in the next week or two.
 The far end is up in oats and brassica.  Need rain.
 The pumpkin patch is a jungle.
 The predominate weed this year is grass.  I couldn't even find a way to walk down the rows.  Survival of the fittest for those pumpkins.
 The prairie plot is showing some of the warm season grasses.
 This plot is a summer annual mix.  It is a disappointment.  Looks yellow like not enough nitrogen.  I had it tested and fertilized per recommendation.  I took down the deer tape this weekend.
Clover in the orchard field is my best plot right now.
 Weeds in the pond field - I mowed.
 A chicory/clover plot also with weeds.  I mowed it too.
 Another clover/chicory plot in the main field.  Weeds again - mowed again.
 Driveway field is not bad.
 Evidence of turkeys in the grape arbor.  They broke down one of the cross members.
 I think that the turkeys enjoy these grapes. Too many seeds for me.
 The apple trees are drooping under the weight of a bumper crop.
 One of my newer trees producing pears.
 Showing the size of some crabapples.
 Many butterflies right now.

 A stunted sunflower in my yellow plot.
 I did a little shooting this weekend.
 I also hung a steel plate for practice.
 I have a mule deer hunt coming up with a muzzleloader.  I took two shots from the 100 yard bench - then made an adjustment.  Got a nice 3 shot group.
 I moved back to the 200 yard bench and tried my BDC reticle.  Not bad.
 So I went to 150 and shot off sticks while sitting.  My hold was not great - vertical wandering.
 I did give the hand loads a try from Joe.  No attempt to adjust the BOSS for this load.  Needs work to tune it in.
 I did manage to dip a line.  There were many more hits than landed fish.  Time to retire that popper - pretty beat up.
 I removed the dead branches from the one apple tree.  I suspect that it was a lightening strike.
Checking the field of view on a new camera location.  Dave and I pushed a bedded big buck near here last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment