Sunday, January 7, 2018

It's Cold!

 This was yesterday morning in Mason but it is the same here at the farm.
 The aerator keeps a little bit of open water at the pond.  It is the late muzzleloader deer season this weekend.  I don't think that there will be many hunters.
I just filled this propane tanks a couple weeks ago.
 Joan thinks that I'm nuts but I'd rather be out and about that sitting on a couch.  But I don't stay out that long in this weather.
 It's fun to see the tracks in the snow.  The deer seem to appreciate this culvert that I have for a creek crossing.
 Some places they make their own trails.
 Other times they are glad to use the atv trails.
 Here's a place where they split off.
 It's not just cold in Ohio.  Our great nieces are checking out the manatees in central Florida.  They've huddled up in a canal to keep warm.
One of my Christmas gifts - a hitch cover. 

Here's some recent info that I've stumbled across about hunting and conservation.  I like some of the links in the Dallas Safari Club info and the RMEF does a nice job.
Dallas Safari Club
Elk Foundation Videos
Safari Club International Videos
 There are survivors following gun season.
 And they are still beating each other up.
 But, they remain friends.

 I don't do a lot of supplemental feeding.  I've read that corn piles can be a source of disease spread (swapping saliva). But I did buy two bags of cracked corn and spread it around this weekend.  Cameras should show activity next time.  A little extra energy for the cold.
 A mutant descendent?
 Most cameras display the temperature near the time stamp.

 Some of them warm up from sunshine (beyond the actual air temperature) due to a dark case in the sun.
 But nighttime temps are usually accurate.
 Turnips and radishes are frozen rocks right now.



 I suspect that this guy lost one side in a fight.  He's been this way for weeks.  When hormone levels cause antler drop, they usually both go within 24 hours.
 Youngsters. Siblings?
 And a few doe shots.

 There's a fox on the left - check temperature.
 He's on the right now.  Temperature a few days later -5F.

 Not sure if the coyotes hibernate or den.
The number of photos are radically reduced since the fall.  Only these two shots this week.
 The fox stay active.
It didn't feel this warm.

 A couple older shots with my helper - Lucy.

Sunday morning sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment