Sunday, October 14, 2018

They're Back!



My farm helpers were back in town to help with the pumpkin harvest.

It was a little bit cooler this week.
It was surprising how many pumpkins, gourds and squash that were still out there.
 The productivity of my helpers was a little suspect.
But they were always interested in helping if there was a machine involved.
 Assistant drivers.
Such fun to wash the harvest.
"I do it."

There might have been some Ranger rides. That's an investigation on the hood.
Mystery solved on the seeds in the poop piles.  We grabbed a persimmon and cut it open for the seeds.






Due to some rain, we had some barn time. Major construction project.
 Eric needed to get his new Tikka 308 sighted in before our trip out west.
And we did some practicing both sitting and standing off of sticks at 200 yards.
 We made lots of holes in paper.
And we got out the 44 mag "bear gun".  It still packs a wallop.
 These are my groups at 200 yards, sitting off sticks, while hurrying to simulate an elk standing there.  Not great but not terrible either.
Grandma entertained while the shooting was going on.
I made a last minute decision to head to a stand on Friday evening.  The first problem that I encountered was that I couldn't find my release for my bow.  The next problem was that there were deer preventing me from getting to my stand.
 So I went to the main field stand instead.  At last light a nice buck came into the field at 100 yards.
 After it was completely dark, he came directly under my stand.  I tried to scare him off by taking his picture.
 The bobcat was back.
He just made a couple of appearances.
 I don't often get fox and deer in the same shot.
 The fox.
 Four coyotes.

It is also fall turkey season right now.

Crowds of does.
And the usual suspects.  This is Junior.
He's got a mutant left side.
Double forward brow tines on that side.
And an odd two point main beam.
 The boys have started to rumble.

This is Squiggle.





Bachelors.


I've been chasing the European mount from my mule deer.  It is starting to sound like I may never see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment