Monday, October 1, 2018

Farm Hands For The Pumpkin Harvest


 I imported some migrant farm labor to work on the pumpkin harvest.
These are grandsons Elliott and Tommy from Chicago.  They were a big help.
We found some deer-nibbled pumpkins in the plots.  I guess that I have been slacking on keeping the tape sprayed.
It was hard work but we made some progress.
The gravel was very interesting.
Gymnastics tryouts.
This guy loves keys, locks, switches and buttons.  I'll be finding stuff for weeks.  Luckily we had keypad entry to the cabin (which he locked us out of).
 After all the hard work, we relaxed with some fishing.
 Patience is a virtue.
Success!  The pond was in decent shape - algae treatment have been working.  Still a very faint red film on the surface.
 Grandma helped with fishing too.
 Tommy caught 3 - wanted to eat them.


The work was so hard we had some just fall over from exhaustion.
Lots of touring.

 Found the head lights on and the 4wd off.
 Sight spotting the fish.

Checking the fruit trees.
 Not sure what these seeds are that showed up in coyote poop.  Daughter Amy was on a girl's weekend in WV and saw big piles of the same seeds in scat (bear?).
 I didn't show this one to Joan.
 Sunday morning.  Beautiful weather this weekend.  It was archery opener but I didn't hunt.
 Some of the camera action.




Not a very good picture but I think there's 4 coyotes in it.
 Fox.
 I hung a camera in the pear tree by the driveway.  It was surrounded by fallen fruit.

 Got a fair amount of action.
 Trash collected in the woods on last week's walk.
 A nice selection of bucks - no monsters.

 Junior.




 Squiggle.










My farm helpers may be back in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait.

1 comment: