Sunday, February 10, 2019

Cooking Wild Game


I've been a bit housebound since my wife had a knee replacement recently.  You may have noticed that the posts have been mostly from internet browsing.  Well, it was nice and sunny yesterday so we went out for a drive to Hueston Woods State Park. Nice.

Recently, I saw this article about millennials taking up hunting due to interest in controlling what they eat (an extension of farm to table).  Thought it was interesting.

NYT Millennial Hunters

From it I got the link to their blog about cooking what you harvest.

Hunter-Chef Blog from NYT Article

I also saw this article along the same lines in the Wall Street Journal.

WSJ Hipster Hunters

These articles got me interested in the whole field to table thing and I started googling.  I've read Steve Rinella books (enjoyable) so I found/recognized his blog.  There are many other blogs.  There's a whole Paleo Diet thing out there which is a rabbit hole I chose not to enter.  But here's a few of the hunting/foraging/cooking blogs that I found.  More recipes than I will get to anytime soon.

Hunter-Chef Hank Shaw

Steve Rinella Meat Eater Blog

Hunter-Chef Blogs

Wild Food Blog

Deerslayers Wife

Mountain Camp Girl

From Field to Plate

Field and Stream - Wild Chef

Nevada Foodies

The Sporting Chef

All that inspired me to make some elk chili - that's about as exotic as I get.


It's in the slow cooker now.

Here are some more wildlife news articles for your interest/enjoyment:

More Detail on Man vs Mountain Lion

Baby Elephant vs Old Lioness

Poacher Kingpin Gets Off

WSJ on Chronic Wasting Disease in Deer


No comments:

Post a Comment