Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Shed, Fungi Week, and Other Randomness


 I found my first shed of the season.  It wasn't much.  My phone says that I put in 19,000 steps this weekend and did the equivalent of 100 flights of stairs.  You would think that I'd have more to show for it.  This was right in front of one of my cameras.
On the walk, in a completely different part of the property from last week, I started running into bones again.
It had me wondering again about Junior.
But, once again it was a doe.  Still no sign of Junior.
I had three decent walks this weekend.
Fresh poop of the week.
Somebody has been chowing down on nuts.  Squirrels, I assume.
 I followed a deer trail thru the center of the prairie patch.  I was surprised to find a strip of completely different grass in the middle.
There is lots of evidence about of high winds.
There were easily 6 large trees uprooted like this.
I would just pick up one of these deer highways and follow it where it took me. I was hoping to find antlers.  Nope.
 This pile of rocks is near a property boundary and just off a farmers field.  I suspect that rocks have been getting plowed up for 100 years and then dumped just inside the tree line.
One of the corner posts as marked from the recent boundary survey.  This is actually just an inflection in one of the boundary lines.
 I was surprised to find a number of things that appeared to be growing - I suspect fungi.
A little bit of snow started to fall.


Light and dark colored 'shrooms.
And a carpet of moss.
The photo does not really do justice to the steepness of these creek valleys.
Eric and Creigh got a Ranger stuck here once.  Flat tire.
 I decided to follow the creek back upstream.  I didn't think any deer were using it for a right-of-way.
 I was right.
 It's a different world in the bottom of these "hollers".
Some interesting geology.  Sedimentary, I presume.
I always suspect something denning in these mini-caves.
Some have bigger openings than this.
 1" to 3" of snow was forecast for Sunday afternoon.  It started during my walk.
 Red bellied woodpecker and cardinal at the feeders.
 Snow - the ground was covered by the time we left.
 I have been collecting malfunctioning cameras.  A Stealthcam, a Bushnell, and a Cuddeback.  All of them seemed to have intermittent power problems.  I worked on them and put fresh batteries in each.  We'll see how they do.
 I put one of them in this new position.
 And overnight this doe parade went by.
This is another new spot where a deer trail crosses the property line and barbed wire fence.
 And I put this new camera on an atv trail intersection.  If the repaired ones hold up, I have 14 in service now.

 Large crowds like this in the food plots haven't been that common lately.  One nice buck with his head down out there.
He's holding on to his antlers pretty late.
 You probably have to click on the photo (to expand) in order to see him.


 Another crowd.




 And another crowd.
Coyotes have been scarce and the turkeys have disappeared.
I don't believe that I've ever seen a squirrel-deer confrontation before.
Fox sightings are also rare right now.  No bobcat this week.
 I put out just a little minerals.  I usually wait till antler growing season.
Here's a couple little videos from the walkabout.

Snow Starting

Creek Running Sounds

And some links to recent news of interest.

Poacher Shoots Ranger Thru Mouth

Zambia - Hippo Over-populate Cull

Botswana Elephant Poaching-Population

Man Strangles Cougar Follow Up

Trophy Hunt Backlash - Legal Cougar Hunt

QDMA - Watch Your Ash

RMEF - Why Hunting Critics Have it Wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment