Sunday, March 17, 2019

A Little Foodplot Maintenance


It's early for spraying plots but I thought I would try a targeted approach on some of the grass clumps in the clover. I'm using clethodim.
 I also did some frost seeding to keep the clover plots fresh.  I used this bag of seed since the mice had nibbled a hole in it.
 I just sort of broadcast the seed over the existing plots and hope that freeze/thaw makes good seed to soil contact.
I also encountered a few obstructions on trails.  Recent high winds have taken a toll.
I only found this one old, small, nibbled antler.  Probably last year's.
 I put out just a little ear corn to get them thru this last period before green up.  The clover is barely sprouted but there were 5 deer out in the field last night nibbling it.
I did the camera tour on foot this week.  It was about 11,000 steps.
 This was a curious discovery.  A bone twisted in barbed wire.  I have no idea how long it's been there but I don't think that there could have been a deer stuck in that wire without being noticed.  So would someone pick up a bone and twist it in the wire for some reason?
 A pretty good size burrow made by something - ground hog?
 There was a little ear corn between me and the Ranger.  It had been there overnight and appears to have gone untouched.
I resorted to driving around with the backpack sprayer to get some areas with the grass killer.

This week's wildlife news:

NYT Opinion - Northern Rockies - Carole King

BBC Kenya Elephant Queen

BBC - Chickens Kill Fox

Grizzlies Awaken

Pop Sci - Eat More Roadkill

Deer Cull in Maryland

Nat Geo - Cougar Leftovers

QDMA - EHD vs CWD

Wolf Delisting

 Somehow, I missed setting the clock on this camera.
But the deer are using the atv trail too.
 Coyote
Little buck - hasn't dropped yet.
 One side drop.
 Three does wander out.
Followed by two more.
 This camera wasn't producing much - I'm trying another nearby spot.  It may just be on its last legs.
Busy night in the pond field.






Dogs.



Fox
 Fox
Fox
Coyote
Two coyotes
 Fox

Bobcat
 What all those predators are looking for - bunnies.  I get as many bunny photos as I do squirrels.
Some sort of bird triggered this photo - upper left corner.  I'm not sure what it was.
 Camera tour on foot.

The harrier was back this week.  Saw him on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment