Sunday, June 30, 2019

Trailcams 6/30/19


 Starting to see some twin fawns - that's a good sign.
 From what I've read, twins are an indication that the population hasn't exceeded the carrying capacity.
Twins are supposed to be the "normal" situation.  When nutrition is scarce, does tend to spontaneously abort one of the fetuses.  One of nature's ways.
There are singles around too.  Of course that could be only one born or loss due to predation.
 It seems like the first ones that I saw were all singles.

Triplets aren't unheard of but I don't think that I've seen them on this property.



Speaking of predation, coyotes are somewhat controversial.  Some studies show them as a major source of fawn loss.  Other studies seem to indicate that they're cleaning up the ones that wouldn't survive anyway (lame, sick, etc).
 I don't think that foxes are much of a threat to deer.
Coyotes can be.

There were 6 blurry pictures like this.  I believe that it is an owl hunting.  Not sure what - mice, vole, bunny?
Getting to be a regular - pileated woodpecker.
 Looking like Junior.
 Not this one.
But this one.











One of my cameras died. I moved this one down to the mineral lick. We've missed two weeks of action down there.
 Wonder what sent this one airborne?

Infrequent visitor.
The regulars.
Thanks buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment