Monday, June 10, 2019

Travel Hell, Too Wet To Plant, Hummingbird Drama, But No Snakes


Aunt Karen was due in at 10:30am on Saturday for a visit.  The plan was to pick her up at CVG and go straight to the farm. She got up at 4am, caught a flight out of Melbourne FL at 6am and then stuff happened.  Due to weather, her first approach in Atlanta was aborted and diverted to Savannah.  After several hours on the ground (and a refuel), they flew over to Atlanta again only to be diverted due to weather to Charleston.  Several more hours on the ground (at least they got to deplane), then off to Atlanta again.  Connections were long gone so rebooked on a later flight which was repeatedly delayed.  Finally on the ground at CVG at 11:30pm and to the farm at 1:30am.  Long day.  What a good sport.
So she got a day at the farm but it was a wet one.
 In between major downpours, we took a ride on the Ranger for the camera tour.
Not typical weather for a Floridian.
 I received an early Fathers Day gift - some assembly required.
 No directions but I seemed to do ok.  Better than with the trash can.  Looking forward to getting it out for some shooting.  I'm saving the smallest target for later (maybe never...).
 While I was working in the barn, I found a twitching hummingbird laying on the floor.  I've found dead ones in there before.
I think that they are attracted to this emergency release knob for the door.  They must think it is a bloom.  But why do they end up dead on the ground?
I put this one out on a rock hoping that it would revive - it didn't.
Meanwhile in the pumpkin patch, there is a carpet bloom of weeds. Too wet to rototill or to plant.  I'm going to be behind the eight ball (again).
Previous plantings need tilled.  the rest of the patch needs planted.  Too wet to do anything.  Not sure when or if I'll be able to do anything about it. Sigh.
Down in the woods, the wine berries aren't ripe yet. They're a non-native red raspberry-like plant.  They've been quite tasty in year's past.
I'm guessing they'll be ready in another week or two.  Hopefully at some time when I'm able to pick and partake.  There's a healthy looking patch of them.
With all the rain, the food plots are growing nicely (along with the weeds). These are sunflowers.
 Powerplant in the main field.  Karen and I counted 11 deer out here on Sunday evening - most of them bucks.  I hope that they give it a chance to get started before they eat it all.
 The other powerplant field - planted a week later.

I looked for the copperhead (or any other snakes) and I didn't see any.  Maybe due to the weather?
 In the prairie plot - this thing is more than 5' tall.  I think it is a thistle.  Probably not desirable.
 Several fawn sightings.  No twins yet.





 Nursing.
 She could be carrying twins.
 The ticks behind the ears!
Respectable looking bucks - no monsters yet.
 Lots of antler growing season left to go.
 I had a good look at 6 bucks in the field on Sunday evening and three of them were outside the ears already.
A few turkey sightings this week.


The pileated woodpecker is back.
 Squirrel.
 Grey fox.
 Red fox.
Coyote.
 Red fox (hard to see).
 Spraying for weeds last week.
 I'm still battling tractor troubles with the Kubota.  Seems like a fuel supply issue to me - I don't think that it's water.
Meanwhile, the weeds are growing on turbo-power.
I hope that Aunt Karen has a better trip home.

Here's a few links of interest for your leisure reading.

Blog on Ponds and Herons

Nature Photo Winners



The resident gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment