Sunday, May 17, 2020

Turkeys Done, Pumpkins Starting

The last weekend of spring turkey season.
 I made a couple of efforts - not very sustained.  Couldn't drag my butt out of bed before sunrise.
This is the view from my turkey blind.  This is my best field of clover and they've definitely been utilizing it.  I had some gobbles this weekend but nobody came in.
I started a few of the long season pumpkins indoors this year (115 to 135 days) . First time.  Looked like I better get them in the ground.
 I'm still waiting for my fertilizer spreader - hopefully he can work around this one row.  I also have two food plots to plant with soybeans and he needs to topdress my clover plots.
So I got this row of pumpkins in.  We're supposed to get 2" of rain tonight and then rain most of the week.  No telling when that guy may be out to spread fertilizer.
 I didn't see any morels this week but did find a number of flowers on my walk.  This is trillium.
 Butterweed
 There is a lot of this common jewelweed.
 This is either violet woodsorrel or wild geranium.  I get them mixed up.
 The salamander pond was alive with tadpoles - frogs I think.  They're getting pretty big.  Hard to see due to the reflections - it may be a little better in this video.  Tadpoles Swimming
 Proof that there are gobblers about.

 I'm sure that the coyotes would like a few poults.

 When the urge strikes.
 Fox - do they steal turkey eggs?
Interesting fur coat on this doe.
Something scared these two (one in background also with tail up).
Not social distancing.
 The boys.

Nice bases - a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment