Sunday, June 13, 2021

Spoke too Soon

 Last week I said that it was dry.  Here's the rain gauge on arrival.  It's not dry anymore.

The field was too wet to do much so I did other things hoping it would dry out in the sun.

Seemed to be both weeds and pumpkins up everywhere.
I had tape up around a patch of sunflowers - some evidence that it did deter the deer.
This is one of the food plots - weeds and summer annuals are up.
I think that I see beans, peas, sunflowers, etc.
Down at the wineberry patch, things are progressing nicely.  Should have berries in a couple weeks.
I spread the minerals.  
I was hoping that it dried enough and I tried the tractor in the field.  The new rototiller works well in the wet dirt but the tractor was sinking in and making a mess.  And then the skies opened up and delivered about 0.3" of additional rain in about 20 minutes.  Unexpected Downpour
So I gave up and hoped it would dry in the morning.  Had elk steak for dinner.
In the morning, the field were a sopping mess.  It will be days before I can do much.
Nice emergence of my plantings though.
I expect that these sunflowers will outcompete the pigweed and other weeds.  The race is on.
Since I couldn't work in the field, I worked on the oak tree that I downed a while ago.  I haven't touched the main trunk yet.
But I already have quite a pile of wood.  And I have a ton of cedar cut up inside the barn.
Here's a couple of random photos from Mason.  Geese at VOA park.
Joan's clematis at home.
On the camera tour.
From the cameras - turkeys still pretty active.



And some of the critters looking for them.



Pileated woodpecker shows up here frequently.
Some fawns are moving.



And the bucks are too.  Antlers are taking shape now.  I usually expect most of the main frame to be developed by the 4th of July.

I don't think that the above and below are the same deer.









Last year's wide 10?


No comments:

Post a Comment