Monday, October 18, 2021

Deer Movement and Broken Crossbow

Two weeks ago, when I last hunted, I had an incident at the end of the hunt.  I was attempting to de-cock my crossbow and I somehow caused a "dry-fire".  I used the lever to put tension on the string, then I pressed the ratchet release button, and just as I started to wind it down, the lever somehow slipped off the shaft and it released.  I inspected it, and it looked ok.

When I got out Friday night, I grabbed it and went to stand.  I had no trouble cocking it and loading it.  I had a very nice hunt.  These are some does out in the new oats that I planted.  I also had a 4 point and a 6 point at about 40 yards on the other side.  And I could see a very nice shooter out in the brassica about 400 yards away.

I hunted Saturday morning (didn't see anything) and then decided to test fire the crossbow. I fired one arrow into the target and then it wouldn't grab the string to be cocked.  Upon close inspection, I could see some damage around the front of the string carriage near a bolt head.

On the other side, a chunk seemed to be out of the block.
At that point, I put it away and got out the compound.  Practiced a little with it and decided to hunt with it for the rest of the weekend.  Will get the crossbow in for a look/repair - probably at Cabelas.
I went for a walk and did some chores.  This naked trunk used to be an apple tree.  It's one of the ones that I planted about 5 years ago.  It's been rubbed and abused.  I used to have them in field fence cages.
In my new little orchard, several of the trees have been chomped off.  I erected the deer tape with plotsaver spray around them all.  I hope that they survive the uninvited pruning.
The plots have some weeds but there is a lot of food in them.  This one is Turnips and Beets. 
And apparently radishes too.
This field is Wintergreens.
I've planted them before but they are at least 3' tall this year.  This is about the spot where I could see the shooter thru the binos.
Most of the clover is pretty happy.
Out for the camera tour on foot.
This is one of my enemies in the clover plots.  I spray it and the greenery dies off but it just re-sprouts. Same thing if I mow it.
The Seek app identifies it as Creeping Thistle.
On the tour I noticed this creature on Charlies Trail sign.
Seek says it's a changeable mantleslug.
I had a camera under this large white oak.  It had a rub nearby and there were a ton of acorns on the ground.  Saw a brite orange growth at the base.
Forgot to save the ID.  Think in was jack-o-lantern mushrooms.
Some of the ferns.
Lots of different mushrooms.
Anyway, I took my compound out and hunted that evening.  First I had a couple does come out on my left.
I could spy two other does across the way at the brassica.
The original does fed around me 180 degrees at 25 to 30 yards.  Does out Feeding Video they got down wind of me, got a sniff of me and started stomping and honking. Busted Video
At that point, I thought my hunt was done.  But about 10 minutes later, look who stepped out.
He was calm and feeding at about 30 yards.  I studied him quite a bit.  He is definitely a shooter but I've been looking for something a little better. Buck Comes Out Video
It wasn't easy but I decided to pass hoping that his big brother would follow him out.  He put on a show for me first working a rub and scrape.  Buck Rub and Scrape Video  And then he took off chasing does a couple of times.  He's ready for action.  Chasing Does Video  Anyway, it was a very enjoyable night and I hope that I don't regret the decision.

Some trailcam highlights.  First, the bobcat.
I think this is a hawk making a kill - isn't it?
Turkey flying up to my apple tree.
And hanging out up there.  I had a video a few weeks ago of them flying down from my grape arbor.

Turkey parade.


How about an albino squirrel? 
Neighborhood dogs.
Little bucks sparing.  I saw some of this action from stand.
More turkeys.

A common view of whitetail deer.
Picking apples a couple weeks ago.
Pond stand clover (missed it earlier).
Happy birthday to the three amigos - Eric, Creigh and Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment