Sunday, December 5, 2021

Gun Week - It's Over

Most of the excitement was early in the week.  Things slowed down toward the end.  Joan and I had enough of deer camp and we left mid-day on Sunday.  Here's the scoop on what happened since the last update.

One evening I had buck kindergarten going on in the pond area.  I had four yearling bucks out for the last hour of light.  They paired off and locked up their cute little antlers.


They frolicked and eventually I decided to see if I could raise a mature buck with some grunts.  The little guys completely ignored the grunts but a couple does that were on their way out seemed pretty concerned about my grunts.  Anyway, I lost light without any big boys making an appearance.

Most mornings were frosty and it was rare to see even a doe.
I did more moving around and tried to intercept a buck on the way to bed.
It's annoying to see all this sign when you're not seeing bucks.
I did some mid-day sits.  This was in the hanging stand that I put up in a stand of oaks.
I did have visitors when I sat in stands in the evenings.
And more glorious sunsets.
Joan and I ventured out to do some pine tree pruning,  She uses these greens for her holiday decorating.
Pretty comfy back at camp.
This is one of the target bucks that we saw and bumped a couple times this week.  He's the guy in the spotting scope video in the previous post.  He has a split G-2 and a crab-claw on the front of the same beam.
This guy is a regular that I saw a few times in archery.  Here he was during shooting light near one of the stands that I wasn't hunting at the time.  A nice, wide 7 point.
Eric processed his own buck and we dumped the guts and skeleton here (in the red circle).  I put an unreliable trailcam on it to see who may show up.  So far, it seems to be mostly crows.
Otherwise, not too much on camera of interest.  Just this fox.
Still time for the crossbow, plus the bonus gun weekend, plus muzzleloader.  I'd prefer not to have tag soup again this year but am trying not to lower my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment