Thursday, December 2, 2021

Gun Week - Midweek Update

No more shots fired since Eric's buck was taken but we've had some close encounters.  

Here's Eric processing his own deer - first time.

He did an admirable job but that 45-70 sure stirs things up.
He is going with a shoulder mount and is going to try out a new taxidermist (for us).
This may be "speed Racer" last week.
This is a cell phone photo that I took of him at 60 yards  before he ran off past Creigh and Eric's stands (twice).
We've been seeing deer most evenings but it has been slow during the morning.
I've been spending most of my evenings in the main field.  Last evening, Eric spotted one of my target bucks in the pond field.  He used a spotting scope from the barn.  This video is by him hand holding his phone to the spotting scope.  He was 250 yards away from the buck.  Stick with the video, it comes and goes.  Buck Thru Spotting Scope
Anyway, with 15 minutes of light left, I climbed down from the main stand, stalked over to the pond, and snuck around a berm.  At 40 yards I could see a brown back and I froze.  A head came up - it was a doe.  The head went back down to feed and I took one more step to try to see the buck.  The doe busted me.  Apparently the buck was further back and below the crest of the hill.  By the time I saw the handlebars running away the only shot I had was at a white tail.  Bummer.

Here's some of the doe action on other nights.  Photo below and this video.  Does Bleed Into the Driveway Field
We've had some great sunrises and sunsets.



I put out a hanging stand but I haven't really used it.  I just don't feel comfortable sitting up there.  Great view thru a stand of oaks and down a hillside.
They are eating all the food plots.
Poop of the week - a fresh buck bomb to taunt me.
After tagging out, Eric spent a night in stand watching and had a live encounter with the bobcat.  That's cool - I haven't seen it live yet.  Here's a trailcam of it last week.
And a few deer cams just to get a flavor.


The weather has been pretty ideal until yesterday.  Tonight it will be 60 degrees with 12 mph winds.  Not ideal.  But I'll be out there somewhere anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment