Sunday, January 22, 2023

Set For Africa?

After almost two years of trying to obtain a 375 H&H for a potential Cape Buffalo hunt someday, I finally got my grubby fingers on one this week.

I started out putting a deposit on a Kimber Caprivi.  I waited for more than a year before it became obvious that Kimber had committed to handguns and had basically stopped manufacturing rifles.  With the help of Scott from Country Attic, I switched my deposit over to a Winchester Safari Express with a delivery promise of January 2023. I checked several times and the system didn't show a manufacturing date but the rep was confident it would show.  And it did.

Now I need to work on bases, rings, scope and ammo.  I found a couple boxes of ammo on Midway USA.  I'm thinking Talley QD rings and something like a 1-6x scope - maybe Leupold or Trijicon.  Illuminated reticle seems to be recommended.  Advice welcome from those with experience.

The plan now is to get it built, practice with it to where I'm somewhat proficient, and eventually book the next trip.  Here's one of the links to the last trip.  Eastern Cape Trip 2014

Meanwhile, the guy who was my PH on that one plains game hunt in South Africa is making a U.S. tour.  He has his own outfitting business now.  African Select Safaris  This is a recent promo video. African Select Safaris Video  Anyway, Arnold is coming thru Cincinnati and we may have a meet and greet for a burger and a beer on Feb 7.  If anyone is interested in meeting and chatting with Arnold, let me know.

It's a pretty yucky day at the farm right now.  Freezing rain is falling.  I did get a nice walk in yesterday.



The brassica in the driveway plot looks like it had been bush-hogged.  The deer have mowed it.
I got a Bird Buddy for Christmas,  It's a feeder that's supposed to send me shots of the visitors.  I haven't gotten any yet but I'm set up and waiting.
A few of the usual suspects on camera.
There's a hawk feasting here.
First turkeys that I've seen in ages.
Come hither look?
Changed her mind.
See these guys next year.





No comments:

Post a Comment