Sunday, December 3, 2023

No Joy in Ohio Gun Season

We had two or three hunters in camp all week and we hunted hard.  We saw a ton of does.  But other than a fleeting glance in the distance or after last light, we didn't see a buck at all.  No real excuses - the weather largely cooperated - we just weren't on them.  The cameras say they were here. This was the evening before the opener.

Creigh and I started the week off.
And we saw does.
Lots of does.

I tried walking and still hunting some mornings.

Sitting in this spot, I saw does silhouetted at the far ridge. 
Back to the stands in the evening and lots of does.
Sometimes they winded me.
It got cold - low 20's in the morning.
These cameras says 11F but I don't think it was ever that cold.

Eric joined us on Tuesday.
And we had more does.
Nice sunrises though.
We went on a camera tour and Joan came in spite of the cold.

She was well bundled.

It was a break from cooking for us.

And we saw more does.
Joan worked on puzzles and Legos.
I went for a walk by the back property line.  Our neighbors wounded a buck and never recovered (after losing a good blood trail). I came up the drainage from where the blood trail ended.
The only thing I found was this possum on a rock in the middle of the creek.
The valley clearing isn't so clear anymore.  The stand is falling down (rotten).
I was surprised by all the downed trees over my atv trails.

They were everywhere.

And, as always, lots of rubs.


The brassica is peaking thru even in my weedy plots.
And most of the clover was great but grazed low.
Dave made it out for the weekend.
It was warmer but with rain, fog and does.
We called it Sunday at noon.  Was supposed to be 16 mph winds in the afternoon. This is the cell camera shot of 7 does in the driveway after we left.
Some of the trailcam action - does.





And a ton of coyotes.

Four in this shot.


Poop of the week - likely from one of those coyotes.
Oh well, still some season left this year.  We should take some does but I have enough meat already.
Here's a few videos:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment