Sunday, March 10, 2024

No Luck Looking For Sheds

The cameras would seem to indicate that the antlers have mostly been dropped.  I took the dogs for a walk thru the fields and we didn't find any.

It was wet and they got pretty muddy.
Joan was not pleased.
But they had a great time.
I did something different with the 375 H&H.  I decided to simulate a hunting scenario.  I loaded up a magazine, took a first shot standing off sticks at 100 yards, did a follow up shot, then hurried up to 80 yards while reloading, took a couple more shots, then reloaded and hurried up to 60 yards, took a couple more.

I did this drill twice and had the expected fumbling around on reloads, trouble reacquiring the target, putzing with the scope magnification, etc. It wasn't great but I learned a few things.
Putting the top one in on a full magazine requires some care to seat it in the magazine.  These control round feed actions don't like loose cartridges rolling around in there.  I even had hollows (TSX) and solids.  Much more practice to do.

I finally put together this new shooting bench that I got.  It is sturdy and the shooting stool is actually a drummer's chair.  They are really expensive but are a quality item. Stukey's Shooting Benches - WY
On the next day, I went for a walk myself to just follow deer trails thru bedding areas.  The woods haven't quite awakened yet and it was wet.
The traffic areas are faint but you can make them out.  I just followed them into the deepest cover.
The prickers are starting to green up - multiflora rose I think.
The only other green is moss.
I covered a lot of ground and my knee seemed to hold up.
Woodpeckers at work.
I found this on some of my atv trails.  There's a lot of work to be done down on those trails.
Last week chores - spraying.
And frost seeding.  It is actually supposed to freeze tonight.
Last week was almost tropical.
Joan came out for a tour.


Lots of turkey action this week.









The does are looking to be in pretty good shape.
This is the toughest time of the year for them - before green up.




The blond coyote was around.
And a pack of neighborhood dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment