Monday, March 4, 2024

Crazy Warm This Week

 The weather is now oscillating between winter and summer.

This week we have daffodils.
Last week we had snow.
The daffodils are preferred.
The deer have been grazing both the turnip bulbs and some of the greens that are sprouting from them.
I decided to terminate the turnips (Roundup) and replant this plot in clover.
This clover seed is worth its weight in gold.  Normally I "frost seed" but it doesn't look like there will be much freezing.  I hope that I have enough bare ground to get good soil to seed contact.  Time will tell.
The dogs and I had a glorious walk.
We covered a lot of ground.  Here's some videos of their frolics.  Dogs Frolic 1  Dog Frolic 2
They love to be off leash and run.  Joan is not so pleased with the mud and hitchhikers.
Helping me put the food block back up on the stump.
The deer do seem to appreciate it but it doesn't immediately disappear.
The salamander (vernal) pond out front.
Cherry trees tend to do this a lot here.  I'm guessing that they don't have a deep taproot and these soils let them blow over.
I think that I've posted this before.  Out in the woods is this metal hoop.  It looks to me like it was a steel tire on a wood wagon wheel. There are some bolts and a remnant of an internal rim.
The dogs and I looked for shed antlers without success.  We walked thru the pine stands.
And checked all of the clover fields.  A couple years ago, I frost seeded this clover field after a brassica planting (no tillage).  It came in great.
I also shot the 375 H&H.  The 250 grain CX load off the bench at 100 yards and the 300 grain Barnes load of the sticks at 60 yards.  And that includes the scope swap.
This morning, when I took the dogs out, we could see a couple deer thru the fog on the pond edge.  The iPhone actually reduces the fog effect.
The turkeys are back from wherever they spend the winter.

I think that these are crows.
And the deer doing they're normal thing.



Bobcat.
Coyotes - this one is a blondie.







No comments:

Post a Comment