Monday, July 4, 2011

Doug's Toys (again), Food Plots, Etc

Amy and Doug came home for the 4th of July weekend.  On Sunday, Doug and I made a getaway to the farm.  We planted the last of the pumpkins, sprayed Roundup on the beans, weeded some of the garden, completed the plotsaver tape and, of course, did a little shooting.

Last trip, Doug brought his M4 which is a fully automatic rifle (similiar to an AR or M-16).  It fires a 223 round which is a high power rifle round.  This time, he brought an MP5 which is a machine pistol (like a MAC or an Uzi).  It fires a 9mm pistol round.  A 30 round clip pretty much disappears in a blip.



I was aiming for the post on the right (not the target).

 Notice the shredded wood and the patch of bare dirt behind the post.
 Here's a couple of videos of the action:


We also shot the 30-06.  I need lots of practice before the Utah elk hunt.  This target is the result from 200 yards, sitting, off of shooting sticks. There was one good shot.
 The garden had a ton of weeds but the first priority was to get the remaining pumpkins planted.  I planted the 115 day pumpkins on Father's Day.  We put in 3 rows of 95 day pumpkins on July 3.  I was hoping to get them in sooner but the weather interfered.
 Doug was a good trooper and did the seed dropping.
 A little more perspective on the task.
 Doug also weeded (hoed) a couple of rows of the pumpkins planted earlier.  This is not easy and it was over 90 degrees.  Fine job.  I still need to do some thinning.
I sprayed both soybean fields with Roundup.  The deer have been browsing the beans heavily already.  I hope that there's some beans in there after I kill all the weeds.

 I continue to supply the vitamin and minerals for the deer health.  You can see the progress in another post.
 Checking cameras.

 Some of the does - I still haven't seen a fawn but the does are obviously nursing in some of the other photos.  The fawns must still be hiding in the weeds.









No comments:

Post a Comment