Sunday, July 17, 2011

Garden (Weeds), Bucks and Shooting

It was Invitational weekend at Heritage Club so the course was closed.  As a result, no Saturday morning golf game so Joan and I headed to the farm.


The weeds didn't get any better while I was gone this week.  I spent about 4 hours Saturday afternoon and 6 hours Sunday morning battling with the weeds.  It appears that the carrots and cucumbers are lost to the weeds.  I managed to find and release the beans, melons, corn, and zuchinni.This is the before picture.

More of the before condition.



There are beans in there.


Some of the early pumpkins.





















This is the after picture.  Doesn't look that great but it really is a major improvement. 



Some of the pumpkins.


Three rows of the late planted pumpkins.



Another view after the weeding.


I found another shed antler while disking up a new food plot strip.  The mice had been working on it so it's hard to tell how big it was originally.

I also sprayed the main clover field with a grass killer called Poast.  You're not supposed to do it in extremely hot weather but the grass was just taking over so I decided to take a chance.

For the first time in months, I tried to take an atv ride down the trail into the valley.  I encountered multiple blown over trees and gave up.  Trail clearing is going to take a special effort sometime soon.

After spending 6 hours weeding, I grabbed my 30-06 and shot 10 rounds from 200 yards.  I was sitting and using shooting sticks.  3 shots made the bullseye.  I've still got work to do since 7 shots didn't. Only about 2 months until the Utah elk hunt.

I was planning to shoot a group from the prone position but I couldn't get a clear line of sight from 200 yards.



The sunflowers are doing well and the plotsaver tape seems to be keeping the deer out of them.  I just broadcast seeded these sunflowers and they are really dense (too dense?).

The fawn showed up again this week.  Still haven't seen any out and about but they should be getting old enough now to come out of hiding.

Joan and I watched two nice bucks and two does in the barn field as we were eating dinner Saturday.  The one buck looked like he was about 28" wide.  At first I thought 10 point but I finally noticed only 4 points on his right side.  I don't think that he's shown up on camera yet.







Joan came with me to check cameras this week. I drove slow, avoided bumps, and she held on for dear life.  But she was out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment