Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Hunt - No Shots Fired

On Saturday evening, I returned to the driveway stand.  At about 5:30, a young 5 point buck came out and munched on white oak acorns.
He hung around for an hour and just ate acorns - he never ventured into the soybeans, clover, or brassica. At about 6:00, does started showing up in the main field.  I could see 5 at one point but there may have been more.  At 6:20, right on schedule, the mutant buck appeared again this week - exact same spot and I have no idea where he came from. Of course, this week he was alone.  He hung out between the driveway and the treeline eating acorns under the white oaks.  He satyed 60 yards out so I never had to decide whether to shoot him.  Once it got dark, I grunted at him to scare him away so that I could get out of the stand.
After last week, I practiced the 35 yard shot again.  I shot about 25 arrows with fiield tips and then I let 3 go with broadheads.  Looks good enough.
Sunday morning I hunted the barn stand.  I got out in complete darkness and got settled in the stand.  After about 20 minutes, it started to lighten up and I heard some deer approaching.  Suddenly there was a stomp, stomp, stomp.  Then there was repeated honks.  Then there were hoofs running away.  Apparently I had been winded.  Never saw them.






I sat for an hour or so mid-day in the ridge stand.  It is surrounded by oaks and I thought it might get some action.  Never saw a thing.  Below are some trailcams from this week.  I moved some cameras around to try some different spots for next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment