Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Chores Start


We had a dry weekend with highs in the 60's.  I took advantage of it to get started on the plots.
Amy is due with our first grandchild any day now so I decided to get ahead on the farm work.
 I disked up two existing foodplots that had annuals last year.
And I disked the pumpkin patch.
I also "broke sod" with the plow to create three new plots.  This one is an expansion of the main field.
This one is right outside the dining room and I think that I will eventually plant sunflowers here.  I'm not sure if I can get the soil in shape in time for planting this year.
This is another new plot out the back side of the hi-rise stand.  I also got soil samples for analysis on all of the plots.
View from the hi-rise.
The daffodils are just about the only thing showing much life.  I planted these a few years ago.

When I drove down to the barn stand, there were two turkey vultures camped out on the roof.
I sure hope they didn't go inside - the pigeons make a big enough mess.
I planted the driveway field in clover last fall.  Some of it started to geminate when the first freeze hit.  I also "frost seeded" more clover this winter.  here has been alot of erosion but I'm still optimistic.  We'll know in a couple of weeks.
Bacon of the month.  I've liked every variety so far.
I already had an encounter with chiggers this year.  Before my walk I decided to take some precautions.
I walked into the "buck bedroom".  It's the thickest, prickeriest, gnarliest part of the property.  In a couple of weeks it will be impassible. 
 Right now, you can see hints of trails.
I occasionally find these dump sites.  Previous owners just picked spots on the field edge to dump trash.
Creek crossing - I didn't find any new shed antlers.
The fruit trees are starting to bud.  This is a pear tree - it's the farthest along.
The apples are barely budded.
Refreshing the minerals for the deer.  Antler season and fawning will start in a month or two.














Have I mentioned that our scoundrel elk outfitter has refunded 1/2 of the deposit from a year ago?  It feels like a windfall.  He says that he'll get the other 1/2 soon.  I will be pleasantly surprised if it happens.  Relentless pursuit occasionally does work.


No comments:

Post a Comment