Saturday, December 7, 2013

Final Report - Saturday

Friday night I went to the main hi-rise stand at a break during the sleet storm.  I wasn't really expecting anything to be moving.
It was treacherous getting into the stand - the stairs were already iced. 
It's hard to see but this picture is showing the transition from sleet to snow. 
Surprisingly, I did get three does out in the turnips in spite of the weather.  I passed - still waiting for Mr. Big. 
Dave got home and managed to get his doe hung in his garage.  Not an easy one man job.  He also skinned and butchered it himself.  He might have some paint touch up to do. 
We had cupcakes for our last night in deer camp. 
Saturday morning showed a couple of inches of snow on top of the ice and 26F. 
The forecast is for another winter mix storm on Sunday night and then temperatures as low a 4F later in the week. 
I went out to the pond hi-rise stand in the dark and risked my life climbing the stairs.  When I got to the top, the door was iced shut.  I beat on it with my knife handle and eventually got in.  Not stealthy. 
Daylight revealed a winter scene.
Everything had a layer of ice and then a couple of inches of snow.  I didn't see any deer but there were 6 woodpeckers in the tree at the point in the field.  Two pileated and four smaller ones (Downey?). 
The snow and ice tore the hinge off this shutter. 
Trees and weeds had a pretty ice coating. 
Our Florida guests were excited to see the snow.  Still searching for the perfect Christmas card picture. 
This is what Joan encountered on the drive out.  Must have been a fence break - she found a couple of cows on the road.
 
Still some archery and black powder season left.  I'll still be looking for Mr. Big.

No comments:

Post a Comment