Sunday, March 23, 2014

Boiled Deer Head Etc.

A few weeks ago I found a buck carcass in the woods.  I saved the head and left it outside the barn so that nature could continue to take its course.
 This is what it looked like - still some fur and flesh left on it.
 I brought a propane tank out.  The last time I did this, I did it with charcoal.  This turkey fryer set up is much better.
 Put the deer head in, filled it with water, and lit it up.
 The first thing that happened was an amazing exodus of beetles.
 It boiled for about 6 hours and was quite fragrant.  Occasionally I pulled it out and did some scraping.
 This is the product after boiling, picking, scraping.
The next step was degreasing in Dawn dish soap.  Then I bleached it overnight in peroxide.  It's hanging in the barn now - could probably use another bleaching.
 I purchased some plains game targets to warm up for Africa.  I decided to start with a Springbok.  The backside of the target shows the vitals.  Shooting at this target from 100 yards is supposed to simulate a 200 yard shot.
 I warmed up on a regular target standing off sticks from 100 yards. Three in the bullseye and three in the 10 ring.
 Next I shot 20 shots at the Springbok.  I aimed at what I thought was the perfect spot (high heart and lungs).  I had much more spread laterally than vertically.
 11 shots would have been immediately fatal - nine were not.  There were two complete misses.  Not one shot hit the heart.  I definitely could have been lower and forward.  Much more work to do.
I tried some offhand shots from 60 yards.  This is something that I never do.  I hit paper 3 of 4 times.  Not good.
I have some more supplemental feed.  I don't usually do this but thought That I'd give it a try now just before green-up.
 There should be action on this camera next week.
 Last week after finding the shed antler.
 It was nice enough last week for Joan to come out for a tour.

 I also did a little spraying (probably too early).




A few signs of Spring.
 My walk this week covered the way back of the property - no additional shed antlers found.
 Another old skeleton found.
 Same bird that likes to land on this camera.
Looking pretty thin.
Still a month until turkey season opens.

Groundhog.
 Coon.
Coyote parade (3).

No comments:

Post a Comment