Sunday, March 9, 2014

Shed Hunting, Shooting and Other Discoveries

Best weekend weather in months. No snow left on the ground, highs in the 50's and some sunshine. 
I have had success searching for shed antlers at this time of year. They are fairly easy to spot if the drop in the food plots.  In past years I have found several in the middle of the plots - no such luck this year. 
I did spot this one just above the driveway where a deer trail crossed on its way up to the main field. 
That's the new hi-rise in the background.  Not bad - 5 points but not real big. 
I believe this was the owner in November. 
I also found this carcass down in the woods. 
There's a faint orange paint dot on that tree - it's my property line. 
If you look thru the trees, up the hill, you can see the big pines at the front of the property (by the road).  Leo saw a guy hunting the neighbor's property near here during regular gun season.  Not sure what could have killed this deer - hunter, disease, auto, etc.
I secured the head and brought it up near the barn.  I figured that I'd let nature work on it awhile before I do another boil. 
I'm pretty sure this photo is the deer.  Wide 6 point with a broken brow tine.  It's interesting that this photo is after all gun seasons (including blackpowder).  Archery was still open.  I didn't think this buck looked real healthy when I saw this photo.
On Saturday night I setup to hunt coyotes.  I put this mojo critter in the field.  It flops around like a dying bunny. 
I hung the electronic call in this tree near the small pond dam.  I went up in the pond hi-rise stand with my 223 and the remote for this call. 
On the second sequence, I had this red fox come in.  Fox is out of season now so I just video'd him. Further attempts were unsuccessful.
I couldn't find my normal minerals at Bass Pro or Tractor Supply.  I bought some of what they had available. 
This one seems to be more attractant than minerals 
I've seen large Trophy Rocks before which are basically big rocks with salt deposits in them.  This is the first time that I've seen it crushed up. 
I supplemented my existing mineral licks and set up this feed spot on this stump.  I moved a camera to the small tree behind it.  We'll see what we find next time. 
I walked most of the fields and the front of the property on Saturday.  On Sunday I walked the woods in the valley. 
Greenbriar is a pricker plant that will rip you up if you try to walk thru it in the summer. At this time of year, the deer have nibbled it down to a uniform height.  I don't know how they can eat it with all those thorns on it but they are desperate at this time of year.
The raspberry bush prickers are still nasty and the deer don't eat them. 
Lots of damage from buck rubs.  Double stemmed trees like this tend to survive. 
Single trunked trees like this tend to die if rubbed around all 360 degrees. 
I just walk thru the woods and look for deer trails like this.  Creek crossings, fence crossings, etc are prime spots to find shed antlers.  They jar them loose when they jump. 
Sometimes it hard to find and follow their trails. 
You know that you're on the right track when you find piles of doe pellets or buck bombs. 
On Sunday, I did some shooting.  I got out the 223 and the 30-06.  I'm practicing using sticks and standing (prep for Africa). 
This is the 223 off the sticks at 100 yards.  It is a heavy rifle (varmint model) and has a heavy trigger pull. 
The 30-06 at 100 yards.  I read some advise this week.  It said that, even with shooting sticks, the rifle should always be supported on hands (not directly on sticks).  I tried it and the group at 100 yards wasn't bad.  Four in the bullseye and two just outside. 
I moved back around 200 yards.  The spot that I picked required threading thru a tree branch. 
Here's the group.  I didn't hold over so the group should be 2" low. It wasn't good enough and still needs work.  Don't know if tree branches contributed or not. 
Dave sent me this photo - he's been doing some interior decorating in his house in Indiana. 
I get these every now and then - a bird landing on the camera(?).  I'm not sure what kind of bird that is. 
Our neighbor's lab - he's a regular. 
Coyote. 
Fox - could be the guy I called out - about the same location. 
I believe this is a gray fox - above was a red one.  I read somewhere that it is unusual for them to share the same property. I see them both on camera fairly often.
A turkey parade. 
Parade continues. 
The deer are moving.  Haven't seen any with antlers in weeks.  Maybe they've all dropped. 
Coyote. 
Doe stampede for some reason. 
Not sure about this camera.  Trigger seems very slow.  Not getting many shots.  Trying out a new hat - I think I like it.  No trouble shooting with it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment