Sunday, March 16, 2014

More Sheds, Jerky and Other Stuff

 Saturday was a really nice day.  Highs were in the 60's, the sun was out and the wind wasn't bad.  I found 1/2 jug of grass herbicide leftover from last year and it looked like there was some green grass in the plots.  So, I decided to go ahead and spray even though it may be a little early.
 The deer head that I found last week is in about the same condition.  I decided to let it "age" a little more.
 This is me coming in from coyote hunting last week.  I decided to try again this week.
I tried the driveway stand this week.  It was a beautiful night.  There were 4 deer out in the main field.  Three of them ran off when I tried to call in a coyote.  No luck.
 I took a walk around on the way in.  We had a full moon and it was reflecting in the pond.  No coyotes out and about though.
 Sunday morning was a bit different.  30F and wind blowing at 20 mph.  I wasn't anxious to go out so I mixed up some venison jerky meat.  Snow predicted again this evening.
 I use the ground meat method with a jerky blaster gun.
 And 4 hours in the dehydrator makes it about the right toughness.
 The worst part is the cleanup.
 After breakfast I went out for a walk.  I just followed deer trails thru the woods looking for shed antlers.
 I'm always amazed by the rotting trees - especially the beeches.
 They play host to all kinds of things.
 The beeches seem to always have rotten bases and sometimes holes all the way thru.
Other species also participate.
 The woods are clear and easy to see thru at this time of year.
 Lots of interesting rock formations and valley walls.
 Deer poop-ology.  Loose pellets like this are often assigned to does.
 Agglomerated piles like this are usually attributed to bucks.
 Here's a hybrid.  I read one article that claimed the difference isn't sex but diet.  Diets primarily of browse (leaves and greens) result in pellets.
 Diets primarily of mast (acorns, fruit, etc) result in buck bombs.  I'm not sure what's true but most hunters are convinced that the bombs come from bucks.
 Steep creek beds down in the valley with lots of downed trees.
 Visibility is the best this time of year.
 I did find one shed antler.  The rodents had already started to nibble it.
 A very nice 5 point just outside the barbed wire near the pond hi-rise stand.
 A comparison to the 5 point that I found last week.  This one was bigger in every dimension - especially base diameter.
 I also found a doe skeleton in the woods below the hi-rise stand.  It had been there for awhile - it was picked completely clean and scattered about.
 Last week I put some feed/minerals out on this stump.  As expected, it attracted a crowd.
 We did have another snow event this week.
 The snow melted and the food had been picked clean.  They're hungry.
 Even a coon made a visit for some leftovers.
 The bucks showed up on camera this week and had obviously dropped their antlers already.

 More antlerless bucks.
 The gobblers are starting to warm up. Nice beard on this one.
 They were moving all over the property.

 One of the coyotes that I haven't been able to call in.
 Making a mineral lick last week.

 Nice day Saturday.  Joan did come out for a ride around.  She should be on camera next week.

Nice face.  It's now Sunday afternoon and blowing snow.  Expression seems appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment