Sunday, August 9, 2015

Farm Visit and Updates

No leads on the burglars (still).

Still no contact from the taxidermist on shipping my mounts from Africa.

Sydney came home again.

 She had surgery, spleen removed, biopsies, came home, wouldn't eat, and went back in on an emergency basis.
 After all the diagnostics, she has IBD and IPT.  Both are supposed to be treatable.  She's home again, eating a little bit and getting around a lot better.
 Hopefully she's over the worst and on the mend.
Over an inch of rain again this week.  Awesome for August.
 Last week I put out this block.  It attracted a lot of attention.  You can see the visitors in a separate post. I also disked up the orchard field.
Then I dragged it and planted it.
 Due to the good weather, the oats are already up.
 It's hard to see but the turnips are up too.
 The block got worked over.
 I think the grapes attract the turkeys.
 Evidence of their visit.
 The main field sorghum is starting to develop seed heads.
 The sunflowers were a disappointment this year.
 Soybeans are established so I took down the tape.
 The blue flowers are the chicory.
 As I was mowing, I kept hitting little stands of milkweed.  I felt bad destroying the habitat for these butterflies.
 There were tons of them around.  I took these shots with the phone thru the cab windows of the tractor.

 This week's harvest.
 Some of the pumpkins are blooming.
 In places, they are competing well with the weeds.
Several rows are ok.  Several rows are gone.
Some rows are just plain weeds.  Mostly pigweed.  I read this week that a single pigweed plant can produce 500,000 seeds.
 This flower is at least 6" across.
 Some pumpkins starting to show.
 Gourds too.
 Several types.



 Gourds climbing on the weed foundation.  I gave up this year.  The weeds are what they are.
Out and back on Sunday.  Sydney not ready for farm trips yet.
The prairie plot needs roundup -- didn't get to it this week.  I sprayed some clover plots with grass control.  They need broadleaf control too.

No comments:

Post a Comment