Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gun Season Finale

 Trailcams from earlier in the week - Eric on way in to ladder.  He had two small does go under him but they didn't show on this camera.
On his way to check the field after they went by.
 This was one of them up in the field after Eric saw them.
Dave, Grant and I were driving around in the Ranger mid-day and Dave spotted a "huge" buck jump up and slink away.  I just caught a glimpse of movement but didn't see the rack.  Dave said "really wide, really tall - like motorcycle handlebars".  So we came back the next day and tried a two man drive thru the area.  This rub was close to where he had been bedded.
 This is the actual spot he had been laying.  Right on the edge of a drop off.  Against this log.  I walked this whole area and tried to push him to Dave (assuming that he hadn't cleared out).
We never saw a deer move but Dave did find the coyote that I shot.  He was 20 yards from where I last saw him.  Forensic investigation indicated that my shot wasn't quite as good as I had thought - but it was good enough.
 I had set up a turkey blind in the valley on Tuesday.  I put some doe pee out by it.  This is a view from it - there's a trail crossing the valley that is frequently used.
When we came back on Sunday, this rub and scrape was right by the doe pee and the blind.  He sure wasn't there when I was sitting in it.
I emptied both muzzleloaders by taking a shot at these bottles from 100 yards.  I was aiming for the middle "c" in Cascade with the Encore.  Not too bad.  I missed the Downey with the old TC.
 These prints caught my eye - do you think that deer got up on the dock?
 I've been slacking on "poop-of-the-week".  Here's a nice coyote pile near the pond stand.
 I talked to a hunter from the neighbor's place in the valley.  They did not see a deer all week.  Here's proof that they do still inhabit the area.
 The cameras continue to show lots of deer.  The food plots are in great shape.  They've just gone nocturnal.
 I heard from another neighbor who took a small buck out of frustration.
 But, honestly, there are deer around.  Second year without a harvest of any type during gun week (if you discount the coyote).
 Dave had a shooter buck at around 75 to 100 yards from the pond stand, took the shot as light was fading.  He couldn't follow it in the smoke.  We never saw any sign of hair or blood.  Seems like a clean miss.  Two other deer ran thru the field at the shot (farther out toward the main).
 Lots of does on camera - never saw any live (except the two Eric saw early in the week).
 This buck showed up on camera in daylight near the main stand.  I was in the stand at the time.  This was actually about 10 minutes before I shot the coyote.  I never saw him.  He must have been on a mission to cross the field.
 Big coyote.
On the way down to the turkey blind.
 Earlier in the week.
Out for a spin with T3.
Next day.
 Sure would like to harvest a deer sometime with Eric in camp.
Look at that clover - they should be piling in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment