Thursday, December 1, 2016

Gun Season Opener

 This is an interim, mid-week report on gun week.  I was quite optimistic when I saw this daylight photo of a 10 point near the barn field.
 We set up a ground blind to monitor that corridor.  We saw virtually no deer in the first 2 1/2 days.  One small buck on the move 300 yards out.  Two small does passed under a ladder stand occupied by Eric.  That's it.  Hard to explain other than unseasonably warm (66 degrees Tuesday).  The food plots are in great shape and the cameras are active.
 Grandson T3 was in camp again this year.
His father pointing out a wooly caterpillar.
 He's not so sure about it or the deer skull.
 For some reason, he determined that my dump of rotten pumpkins needed to be picked thru and reclaimed.
 He had some visits to stands and blinds.
 This fresh antler drop was the closest that we got to a buck.  I suspect that this buck was a loser in a fight.
 I did get one shot at 75 yards - on a coyote.  He went a ways with a big 50 cal hole in his chest before he laid down.
I watched him lie dead still for 20 minutes before I walked over and the bugger jumped up and ran off.  I chose not to disturb the woods by tracking him.  The photo is of a chunk of rib bone found where he was shot.
 There are does around too.  But they are being elusive.

 Several decent buck moving in daylight on camera.
 Other nice ones moving at night.

 I recognize that forked tine.




 10 point


Nice buck near dark.


 There continues to be multiple turkey parades.



Too many coyotes.

We'll see what the rest of the week brings.  Weather has cooled somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment