Sunday, July 16, 2017

Trailcams and Plot Prep

 I was wondering whether the ground would be dry enough this week to turn some dirt.
 We attended a wedding in KY and then drove out for a few hours on Sunday.  The pumpkin vines are starting to run.
 And there are many flowers.
 I saw what I thought was a leaf at the gas tank in the driveway.
Upon closer examination, it was some type of moth.
 Really a pretty big one.
One of the atv trails always washes out and we attempted a repair with some large gravel.  After one good storm, the gravel is gone.
 The prairie seems to have new blooms all the time.
One of the apple trees has a branch with leaves turning brown.  I don't see evidence of a lightening strike.  Wonder what caused it?
I did get two food plots disked up.  I hope to plant around August 1.  We've had a season's worth of rain already (it seems).  Usually dry by now.  Just barely dry enough to disk.
 I believe that this is a paw paw tree.  It is right in front of one of the cameras.

Note: Steve at Bluejay Barrens correctly commented that this tree is a shagbark hickory.  Not the first time that I've blown a species identification.  Anyway, I found a real paw paw and will include it on a future post.
 And it continues to get a lot of attention.



There were a few shots on the cameras from last weekend.
Amy, Lucy, and Charlie were still in town.

A little pruning.
 Quite a bit of fawn frolic on camera.


 Oops - here's one I missed.
More fawn frolic.


 And the bobcat made an appearance.
 The usual coyote activity,
Marking the mineral lick.

Turkeys were active too.  Mostly males.


 One bedded.






 And there were a few bucks around too.

It's bachelor group time between now and September.


Oops, missed some fawns earlier.







 Another paw paw visitor.

This looks like a mess on his head.

 Just checking whether you were paying attention.







CYA.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Tom. The pawpaw in your photo is a hickory, most likely Shagbark Hickory. It's highly likely though, that there are pawpaws somewhere in your woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right Steve. This post is now annotated and I will address it in my next post.

      Delete