Sunday, September 16, 2018

Seasons Are Changing


 I took a first pass thru the pumpkin patch.  This is just the tip of the iceberg - there's lots more in there.
It's disappointing to find some nice ones spoiled.  The one on the left is rotten and the one on the top right is just cracked right open (I don't know why).
I pulled up from picking pumpkins and took this picture of my bride on the porch.
 So she returned the favor.
Cooked a doe backstrap for dinner Saturday.  It was awesome.
 The pond looked kind of bad again so I gave it another treatment.
Actually, from the other end, it didn't look bad at all.  There was a thin film of algae that the prevailing winds blew to one end.
This new plot with oats and brassica looks really good.
 Close up view.
I'm concerned about this plot.  There are a lot of warm season annual weeds visible.  But there's some clover under there too.
The driveway plot is the best clover right now.
 This is Junior.  He's got a mutant left side and he stood for 30 minutes on Saturday night in that field with all the weeds.  Just posing for me while I cooked backstrap.
 Another view of Junior.
 On Sunday morning I went for a hike to try to get in some sort of shape for my western hunt in 6 weeks.  I loaded up my day pack with boxes of ammo for some ballast.
 The hip belt buckle was broken.  Oh well, guess that I needed a new pack anyway.
 I didn't think to turn the tracker app on until I was part way thru my hike.  I drew in the start of the hike in red.
 This was the step counter after my couple hour walk.
The barn field plot.  There are some winter greens showing.
 Hickory nuts - I assume that this is the work of the squirrels,
I'm not sure what this weed is with the orange flowers.
It's been a good year for ferns.
 Best evidence that fall is here.  The bucks are rubbing the trees.
Some sort of caterpillar.
Some of the random flowers on the walk.

 Black walnuts.
I'm pretty sure that this is spicebush.
Leaves coating the trail.
 Some tree of heaven (an invasive) that I poisoned a week ago.  Seems to be working.
I climbed up to the pond stand and there was a fresh poop on the platform (next to an old one).  I'm guessing raccoon.
The view is obstructed.  I have to trim some of these locusts.
 The pond looks pretty good from up here.
 The persimmons are loaded this year.  Making up for the missing apples.
 I saw this praying mantis at home in Mason.  Here's some fun animal photos.  Nat Geo Funny Animals 2018
Does still nursing.  I suspect that will end soon.



 Seems to be posing for the camera.
 Fox.
 Coon.
 Crow?
 And the gobbler parade.


A few bucks seem to still be in velvet.



Junior's funky left side.



On the camera tour.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tom.

    The yellow-green skim on top of your pond looks like it may be pollen. Excess rainfall this year has given added vigor to late summer pollen producers such as ragweed and prairie grass. Windblown pollen settles on the pond and creates a surface film. It takes the pollen a long time to lose its buoyancy, so the amount can really add up under the right conditions. I’ve witnessed this phenomenon many times over the years. The problem eventually corrects itself.

    The plant with the orange flower is Jewelweed. It’s an annual that grows in moist soil. In wet years it shows up in places it does not normally occur. The seed pods swell as the seed ripens and finally burst open, scattering the seeds. Ripe seed pods will explode at the slightest touch, great fun for kids.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete